Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Verdict today for Kbal Thnal six

Verdict today for Kbal Thnal six

Verdict today for Kbal Thnal six

In anticipation of today’s scheduled Municipal Court verdict for six men facing charges of violence and property damage in connection with a September clash on Phnom Penh’s Kbal Thnal overpass, rights groups yesterday called for their acquittal.

A statement from Human Rights Watch (HRW) released yesterday asserts that all six were arrested without reason at a roadblock at the overpass the night of September 15, when police opened fire on a crowd – who allegedly threw rocks at police and damaged property – killing one and injuring dozens.

“The court proceedings and eyewitness accounts make it clear that the police arbitrarily seized a few people from a crowd,” Brad Adams, HRW’s Asia director, said in the statement. “Instead of prosecuting the six to justify the security forces’ use of excessive force against protesters, the authorities should free them and bring charges against security personnel responsible for a death and many injuries.”

During their trial on Monday morning, none of the more than 30 police called to testify said they could identify any of the defendants. Further, all witnesses for the prosecution said they did not know whether the national or municipal police department made the arrest.

In court, all defendants denied taking part in throwing rocks and other projectiles at police that night. Nguyen Thydoc, the only one of the six defendants who did not receive bail, testified that police interrogating him beat and shocked him with electric batons until he falsely confessed to throwing rocks.

If convicted this morning, defendants face prison terms ranging from two to five years and fines of up to 10 million riel ($2,500).

The victim of the shooting on September 15 was 29-year-old Mao Sok Chan, a newspaper vendor caught in the crossfire. His death was the first at the hands of security forces deployed to control election and garment worker protests. Since then, five others have been killed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia’s image problem

    In opening remarks at a recent event, Secretary of State at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Luy David said information can be a double-edged sword. He told a European Institute of Asian Studies (EIAS) briefing seminar that the media has unfairly presented

  • PM Hun Sen says dangers averted

    Delivering a campaign speech from his home via Facebook Live on Thursday, caretaker Prime Minister Hun Sen said his Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) had carried the country through danger in its latest mandate. He was specifically referring to the threat of a “colour revolution”

  • Kingdom's trade deal with EU questioned before poll

    A European Union (EU) mission met with senior government officials at the Ministry of Interior on Tuesday as the 28-member bloc monitors an agreement under which Cambodian goods reach the crucial European market tariff-free. Some 10 commissioners are in the Kingdom as part of a seven-day

  • A new carrier takes off in capital

    Cambodia Airways, the latest passenger airline to enter the Kingdom, launched its first domestic flight on Tuesday. Flight KR801, carrying 145 passengers, left the Phnom Penh International Airport at 9:50am and landed in Siem Reap at 10:35am in an Airbus A319. Cambodia Airways marketing and branding