Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Victims left empty-handed after purchasing land plots



Victims left empty-handed after purchasing land plots

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Chhy Chakrya, also known as Hang Prinya, is facing accusations of fraud for not issuing land titles. Police

Victims left empty-handed after purchasing land plots

Over 100 victims are demanding that a company called Than Preah In compensate them after they invested money to buy plots but never received the land titles or refunds.

A Facebook post by a user named Neak Rongkruos Doy Sar Company Than Preah In said the company’s director, Chhy Chakrya, also known as Hang Prinya, had cheated them out of money and closed the company’s offices before escaping.

The owner of the page, who chose to remain anonymous, told The Post on Monday that he had been cheated out of more than $40,000 by the company after he bought 3ha from it in Siem Reap province last year.

At first, he said the company would issue land titles within six months, but a year passed, and then the company closed all of its branches.

“There are hundreds of victims and some of them are still being cheated by this company. After the post, we gathered nearly 100 victims,” he said.

The owner of the page said after the victims are gathered, they would follow legal procedures and file a complaint with the courts next week.

Another victim, Ngor Lyheang, filed a complaint with the Siem Reap provincial court on March 20 and told The Post on Monday that people had spent their hard-earned money on the land, borrowed from banks, and invested in the company in the hopes of seeing some returns.

When the company ran into problems, he said they couldn’t repay the banks and this disrupted their livelihoods.

Lyheang said: “I filed the complaint alone, and I want to have my money back. I spent $18,500 on buying plots and plantation land.

“I want it to be known that this company is a cheat. I am also participating in filing a joint complaint with other victims.”

Chakrya posted a nine-minute clip on his Facebook page on Monday, saying he had not evaded the responsibility of paying his clients.

He said his company closed its doors after running into financial problems, but it hadn’t gone bankrupt and was still operating. Moreover, he said he had met his clients to resolve the problem.

“At present, despite the problem, I don’t have any desire to abandon clients whom I used to believe in. Ten months ago, I took the opinion that the company should be sold to others and declare bankruptcy, and then I would get away from it.

“I am willing to accept the case because we owe them, and we will pay them back. It is not wrong for them to sue us. The clients bought land from us and they have not yet obtained the titles. If they sue us, it is not wrong. But if we run away, we are wrong,” he said.

He said his company could continue operating as long as clients continue believing in it, because the company still has land in many places, and it could be given to clients as compensation.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year