Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Vietnam-bound trucks full of firewood seized

Vietnam-bound trucks full of firewood seized

Authorities stand next to a truck in Tbong Khmum province yesterday after it was seized for illegal transportation of lumber. Photo supplied
Authorities stand next to a truck in Tbong Khmum province yesterday after it was seized for illegal transportation of lumber. Photo supplied

Vietnam-bound trucks full of firewood seized

Tbong Khmum provincial military police officers yesterday arrested six people and seized two trucks that were allegedly transporting firewood to Vietnam, according to gendarmerie spokesman Eng Hy.

Hy said the group was busted in the morning in Memot district’s Triek commune while headed for the border.

“[At this stage] we do not know how much wood, but the cars planned to go Vietnam on [September] 21 at about 2am. We have sent [the suspects] and the cars to the provincial Forestry Administration.”

Reached yesterday, Tbong Khmum provincial Forestry Administration chief Kim Chhunly said his office had received a report about the bust, saying it appeared the wood was being transported through the province but had been cut in Kratie province.

“We arrested them because they did not have permission [to transport the wood] . . . They will have to pay a fine and then we will release them.”

While the timber trade to Vietnam generally centres around luxury species that fetch high prices, smaller-scale logging for things like fuel has also been blamed for the Kingdom’s rampant deforestation.

The government announced a blanket ban on timber exports to Vietnam in January in a bid to stop smuggling, however, reports from activists and evidence including import data from Vietnam suggest the trade continues.

MOST VIEWED

  • Time to avert disastrous Covid situation: officials

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia is heading towards further large-scale community transmission as the total number of confirmed cases is nearing 61,000 and the death toll passed 900 on July 10, senior health officials warned. Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine expressed concern that the country was going

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided