Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Vietnamese, Dutch nationals sentenced in child torture case



Vietnamese, Dutch nationals sentenced in child torture case

Vietnamese national Nguyen Tangdung pictured last year. Photo supplied
Vietnamese national Nguyen Tangdung pictured last year. Photo supplied

Vietnamese, Dutch nationals sentenced in child torture case

A Vietnamese national was found guilty of torturing and raping a 2-year-old child and sentenced to 18 years in prison in absentia in a Cambodian court on Thursday.

Nguyen Tangdung remains in Vietnamese custody after his Dutch boyfriend, Stefan Struik, encouraged him to flee the country after videos of the abuse went viral on Facebook in December.

For Struik’s role in concealing evidence and failing to report the mistreatment of a child, he was sentenced to two years’ imprisonment and ordered to pay a fine of four million riel (about $1,000), according to Mondulkiri Provincial Court spokesman Meas Bros.

Bros added that Tangdung was also sentenced to pay 80 million riel (about $20,000) to the family of the young victim.

The horrific videos capturing Tangdung’s abuse of the toddler made international headlines and shocked Cambodians when they surfaced online last year.

The Child Protection Unit’s James McCabe, who assisted Cambodian and Vietnamese authorities with the investigation, welcomed the sentences.

“The judge has reflected the community outrage at the crime and sentenced the perpetrator accordingly,” McCabe said.

“I can report the victim is recovering well and I thank the Cambodian community for the way they supported him and his family.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and