Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers in court over bulldozer ‘detention’

Villagers in court over bulldozer ‘detention’

Villagers in court over bulldozer ‘detention’

At least eight villagers in Preah Vihear’s Tbeng Meanchey district have been ordered to appear in court for questioning in relation to allegations that they illegally detained two bulldozer operators working for Chinese concessionaires Lan Feng and Rui Feng.

Six of the accused were present at the court yesterday, and two more are scheduled to appear today. On December 29, about 100 villagers engaged in a land dispute with the Chinese sister companies intercepted two bulldozers allegedly clearing farmland and resin trees in Brame commune. After about 24 hours, the two men were released and the machinery was turned over to authorities.

Khan Roeung, a representative of the ethnic Kuoy community in Brame, said that villagers’ actions had not been inappropriate.

“We did not detain them; we only prevented them from clearing our land and delivered the two bulldozers to Brame commune office,” he said.

However, Ung Tingkong, a translator for Lan Feng and Rui Feng, said that the community members had threatened the two drivers with weapons.

“The two drivers were so scared since the indigenous [community] used knives and axes to threaten them,” he said.

Deputy provincial prosecutor Long Sitha said that the point of the questioning was to determine who made the threats. But Lut Sang, a land project coordinator with NGO Ponlok Khmer, said he witnessed the incident and saw no one threatening the bulldozer operators.

MOST VIEWED

  • LPG gas explosion injures 13 people, including foreigners, in Siem Reap

    An explosion on Wednesday at a liquid petroleum gas (LPG) car and tuk-tuk refuelling station in Siem Reap city has left 13 people, including an American and a Briton, suffering burns. The seven most severely burned, including a provincial police officer, were sent to a Thai

  • Over 100 Chinese nationals to be deported for online scam

    The Ministry of Interior is planning to deport 128 Chinese nationals after they were arrested in Preah Sihanouk province on Wednesday for their alleged involvement in an online money extortion scam. Y Sokhy, the head of the Department of Counter-terrorism and Transnational Crime, told The Post

  • More than 800 people test positive for HIV in 2018

    The National Aids Authority (NAA) said more than 800 people tested positive for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) last year, joining over 76,000 others aged between 15 and 49 in the Kingdom already infected with the virus. The spread of HIV/AIDS in the Kingdom is showing few signs of

  • Rainsy vow to return on Nov 9 dismissed as ‘political warfare’

    An announcement from the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) that its “acting president” Sam Rainsy would return to the Kingdom on November 9 was dismissed on Sunday as “political warfare”. The CNRP made the announcement on Friday after a permanent committee meeting chaired by