Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers face arrest over land row

Villagers face arrest over land row

Villagers face arrest over land row

OFFICIALS in Banteay Meanchey province’s Thma Puok district have so far failed to hold a promised meeting with villagers over the alleged seizure of their land by the military, residents said Wednesday.

They added that local officials have threatened to have them arrested if they continue to contest the proposed construction of an army base on the disputed property.

Long Than, 58, a village representative who claims to have lived in Thma Dekkes village since 1993, when his family was relocated there from a refugee camp, said he has been told that the rice field now belongs to the military, and that members of RCAF’s Brigade 51 stopped him from cultivating the land on Wednesday.

“We cannot plough anymore on our land,” he said. “The village chief also threatened to put us in handcuffs if we protest.”

Residents of the district called off a protest that was scheduled for Monday after the district governor promised to meet with them to resolve the dispute stemming from plans for the military base, which Long Than said could displace as many as 100 families.

Long Than said on Wednesday, however, that no meeting with officials had taken place.

He also said that soldiers had brought an excavator, two trucks and a tractor to the disputed site on Wednesday.

So Chan Heng, chief of Brigade 51, said Wednesday that he was aware of the fact that the villagers had farmed at the site for a long time, but maintained that they were cultivating “state land”.

“We want to negotiate with them,” he said, though he declined to comment further.

Duong Sam Ol, the chief of Thma Dekkes village, on Wednesday denied that Long Than or any other residents had been threatened with arrest, though he declined to discuss the dispute in greater detail.

“I know they will build a military camp, but I do not care to know more because [the land] belongs to the military now,” he said.

“For the villagers, I have no idea how to solve the problem of this land issue for them.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked