Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers face blockade in Sihanoukville

Villagers face blockade in Sihanoukville

Villagers face blockade in Sihanoukville

MILITARY police in Preah Sihanouk province have surrounded a local community following a Supreme Court ruling in a land dispute and were forcing residents to register as they moved in and out, villagers said yesterday.

On Friday, the Supreme Court declared that a piece of land in Stung Hav district’s Commune 1 that is home to 149 families belongs to the developer Ly Hong Sin Company. Over the weekend, local authorities bulldozed 78 homes in the community.

Yesterday, Stung Hav resident Hem Sophoan said military police had formed a cordon outside the community.

“Only villagers living inside are allowed to enter,” she said. “We have to register with our name and house number to go outside, and we have to do the same thing when we come back home.”

Stung Hav resident Lou Vannaret said other villagers had been banned from accessing their dwellings entirely.

“Villagers should be allowed to enter to take care of their property, but they are being stopped by military police,” Lou Vannaret said.

Kim Eng, vice president of Preah Sihanouk provincial court, said villagers were to dismantle the 43 remaining homes in the community within one month, adding that the road to the village had been blocked only after the court verdict.

Local residents claim to have lived in the area since 1999. Ly Sin Hong representatives could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Sun Sakan, deputy governor of Preah Sihanouk province, said local authorities were simply executing the orders of the Supreme Court and had no say in the matter.

“I don’t know what compensation will be paid to the victims. We’ll let them discuss this with the owner of the land,” he said.

Hem Sophoan said villagers had been told they would not receive compensation, and were planning to file complaints against the developer.

“I have been living here since 1999 with permission from local authorities,” she said. “I did not grab anyone else’s land.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Government deports 235 Chinese scammers

    THE Immigration Department of the Ministry of Interior on Thursday deported 235 Chinese nationals, 35 of whom were female, via the Phnom Penh International Airport for their part in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) online money extortion scam. The deportees were arrested on November 26 over the

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • International buyers snap up new locally produced watch

    A Cambodian entrepreneur has launched a stylish high-end watch, hoping to promote the Khmer creative talent and increase demand for the Kingdom’s products abroad. Designer Seth Pitu launched his brand PU a mere 60 days ago, and hopes to combine traditional Khmer art with sleek