Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers file complaint against Union Development Group for razing crops, property



Villagers file complaint against Union Development Group for razing crops, property

Villagers among the burned remains of their crops and small huts last month after security guards for Chinese firm Union Development Group allegedly burned them. Licadho
Villagers among the burned remains of their crops and small huts last month after security guards for Chinese firm Union Development Group allegedly burned them. Licadho

Villagers file complaint against Union Development Group for razing crops, property

Fourteen families in Koh Kong province’s Kiri Sakor district filed a court complaint today against 60 security guards employed by Union Development Group (UDG) for allegedly destroying their crops and small huts on land belonging to the development conglomerate.

The families say they found the empty land in 2015, and planted crops there until they were notified last month that it belonged to UDG.

A few days later, on January 11, 60 security guards allegedly burned their crops and some huts standing on the land.

One of the complainants, 65-year-old Yorng Khun, said the complaint singled out Kem Leng, 36, as the leader of the guards, and demanded more than $20,000 per family for destroying 40 hectares of crops and burning nine small structures.

“If they said that the land belonged to them, we will give it to them, but we file complaint to demand for compensation for destruction of our crops,” he said.

Khun admitted that the group did not have any documents proving they owned the 40 hectares, but said that local authorities had not informed them of its actual ownership.

Uon Sovantheary, spokesman of the Koh Kong Provincial Court, only confirmed that the complaint had been received and that it would be reviewed according to court procedures.

A representative for UDG could not be reached today. The development group has been embroiled in land disputes with hundreds of villagers in Koh Kong, where it was given a 45,000-hectare land concession in 2008 to develop a Chinese-funded resort.

Khim Chandy, district governor of Kiri Sakor, said he had not received any reports of the destruction of crops or the villagers’ complaints.

Licadho provincial coordinator In Kongchit said the company could have allowed the families to clear their crops, and it was unlikely the villagers would win a court complaint against such a sizable foreign firm.

“The court will protect foreign investors rather than protecting Cambodians’ interests under the pretext that the victims did not have documents or lack this or that,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and