Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers file complaint against US sugar firm

Villagers file complaint against US sugar firm

Villagers file complaint against US sugar firm

After many fruitless appeals to domestic authorities, more than 200 families evicted by two sugar companies in Koh Kong province’s Sre Ambel district, have filed a complaint with the US government.

With the support of the Center of Legal Education for Community (CLEC) and EarthRights International, the 207 families have asked the US’s National Contact Point office, which deals with international economic cooperation, to hold accountable American Sugar Refining, one of the major purchasers of sugar produced on the land that was once the villagers’, the NGOs officially announced yesterday.

Despite legal documents showing their land claims, 450 families were evicted in 2006, when the government granted economic land concessions to two companies owned in part by CPP senator Ly Yong Phat, the NGOs’ press release says.

“The forcibly evicted villagers involved in the land dispute lost everything, and their children were made to drop out of school to shepherd the cattle out of the sugar plantation,” CLEC’s coordinating officer Morn Vuthy said yesterday.

“We hope that the US government is able to ask for accountability from the US large sugar purchaser,” said Teng Kao, one of the villagers who thumbprinted the complaint.

EarthRights’ Bobbie Sta. Maria said that the complaint had been in the works for a long time and that ASR had not responded to several previous letters from CLEC, the last of which was sent in June.

Wishing not to interfere with negotiations, Sta. Maria was unable to comment on future developments in the case.  

Am Sam Ath, senior investigating officer for rights group Licado, said the villagers had sent their complaint abroad after receiving no response from the Cambodian government.

“We hope that the government will turn to solve the land dispute for them while they are seeking outside intervention,” he said.

Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan said the concessions were lawful.

Neither ASR, nor Ly Yong Phat could be reached for comment.

To contact the reporter on this story: May Titthara at [email protected]
Justine Drennan contributed to this report

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman