Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers in Kandal find unexploded ordnance



Villagers in Kandal find unexploded ordnance

A CMAC official unearths one of the two unexploded Mk 82 bombs on Sunday in Kandal province. Photo supplied
A CMAC official unearths one of the two unexploded Mk 82 bombs on Sunday in Kandal province. Photo supplied

Villagers in Kandal find unexploded ordnance

Two unexploded Mk 82 bombs, legacies of the US bombing of Cambodia in the 1970s, were unearthed on Sunday in a hole in Kandal province’s Kandal Stung district, according to a police official.

Men Navin, head of explosives management at the Kandal provincial police station, said that the bombs weigh up to 227 kilograms each.

Kruoch Seuch villagers found the unexploded ordnance in a hole in their village in Doeum Reus commune on Sunday morning while they were excavating soil to sell.

“Under the cooperation with the Cambodian Mine Action Centre on Sunday afternoon, the experts disarmed the bombs successfully and brought them to the CMAC training centre in Kampong Chhnang province for later detonation,” Navin confirmed.

CMAC officials remove two unexploded MK-82 bombs from a sandpit in Kandal province on Sunday. Photo supplied
CMAC officials remove two unexploded MK-82 bombs from a sandpit in Kandal province on Sunday. Photo supplied

On its website on Sunday, CMAC warned villagers in Doeum Reus commune to use caution when digging ponds, developing irrigation systems or doing heavy construction.

The organisation said that the Mk 82 bombs were found buried 6 metres under the ground.

According to Navin, Kandal provincial police have worked with experts from CMAC to disarm eight bombs in Sa’ang, Kien Svay and Kandal Stung districts so far this year.

Also on Sunday, local authorities reported a mine explosion in Battambang province that destroyed one farmer’s tractor in Kampong Kol village, in Banan district’s Cheng Meanchey commune. The tractor driver was not hurt, authorities said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese