Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers protest against dam

Villagers protest against dam

Community members affected by the Lower Sesan II Dam gathered yesterday to demand intervention to stop forced evacuations from areas flooded by the dam in Stung Treng province.
Community members affected by the Lower Sesan II Dam gathered yesterday to demand intervention to stop forced evacuations from areas flooded by the dam in Stung Treng province. Pha Lina

Villagers protest against dam

Some 30 villagers, representing families from Stung Treng province who are refusing to relocate from the Lower Sesan II Dam site, yesterday protested in front of the ministries of Interior and National Assembly-Senate Relations to demand officials prevent their forced evacuation and bring an end to their alleged harassment by local officials.

Let Sreyneang, 19, from Srekor village, said that after the dam went online late last month, local authorities started restricting people’s freedom of movement, and began threatening people to leave Srekor and Kbal Romeas villages.

“This is the reason motivating them not to leave their villages,” she said. “[If we] relocate to the non-flooded area from the flooded area, it will separate our families, and will cause us to lose property, time, identity, culture and tradition, and we might be faced with major problems.”

Read more: Dam to bring power, pain

But officials have increased their harassment and intimidation toward the mostly ethnic minority residents in both villages, which is what prompted a group of them to come to the capital yesterday, said Kem Reoun, 51, a Phnong ethnic villager in Kbal Romeas.

Authorities have been restricting villagers from their daily tasks, such as leaving the village to go to the market, he said. “In short, authorities do not allow people to leave the village,” he said. “There are people guarding every gate, and they have dismantled a bridge.”

Villagers also asked officials in the capital to help reopen public facilities, such as schools and hospitals. Sesan District Governor Ponleu Monkol said he hadn’t heard of any such instances.

Tes Rithy, an official at the Ministry of National Assembly-Senate Relations, said he would review the complaint and forward it to the appropriate institution.

Villagers have come to Phnom Penh to protest and request official intervention on numerous occasions.

MOST VIEWED

  • No more Africa travel ban but new rules for arrivals

    The Ministry of Health has decided to lift the ban on travellers from or who have travelled through 10 African countries and instead issued a set of standard operating procedures to manage passenger arrivals at Cambodia’s international airports. The 10 African countries are Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho,

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Cambodia purchases 4 million Molnupiravir tablets

    Cambodia has arranged for the purchase of four million US-made Molnupiravir pills – enough to treat 100,000 Covid-19 patients – even though the current rate of daily infections in Cambodia remains low. The medicine will be distributed to state hospitals, pharmacies and private clinics, according to the Samdech

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • Is Cambodia’s travel sector in for another cheerless holiday season?

    The travel and tourism sector was heaving back to life as borders started to reopen, promising a festive vibe for the holidays and New Year. But Omicron and other Covid-related issues are threatening to close the year on a bleak note ‘Seems [like] Covid-19 won’

  • PM blasts Vietnam general over Covid claims

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on December 6 expressed dismay after Vietnamese general Hoang Xuan Chien, formerly in charge of Vietnam’s border defences, claimed that Cambodia was a source of Covid-19 transmissions to the country. Speaking at the opening ceremony for National Road 11 connecting Prey Veng