Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers protest jailing of ‘innocent’ man



Villagers protest jailing of ‘innocent’ man

Villagers protest jailing of ‘innocent’ man

Some 100 villagers protested in Svay Rieng province on Tuesday, seeking intervention from the authorities to expedite a court case against one of two men who has been imprisoned for raping and murdering an 18-year-old girl in August last year.

The villagers, who are family members, relatives and friends of jailed Phlek Sony, called on the Ministry of Justice and the Svay Rieng provincial court to speed up legal proceedings and release the accused.

Sony’s family said he had been framed by the other accused, Cheuy Socheat, because of revenge.

“Phlek Sony is innocent. He has been unfairly accused by the other suspect, Cheuy Socheat,” Prey Ta Nhoiy villagers said during the protest.

On August 2, last year, the provincial court charged Sony under Article 205 of the Criminal Code with murder, torture and rape, allegedly committed in the province’s Bavet commune. Sony has been jailed since August 11 last year.

According to a video clip posted on the Koh Santepheap Daily’s website, Sony’s wife Ros Soun, 53, their children Khon Vakhim,17, and Khon Sreylin,15, and witness Dam Sary, 52, claim that at around 5:30pm on August 2, last year, Sony was helping them deliver tables to a wedding, after which he took a lorry to clean and slept at home until dawn.

Run Thiday, 28, a villager from Kset commune, said Sony had fallen out with Socheat, the other suspect, for many years.

Tep Phalla, the Svay Rieng provincial court spokesperson, said Thursday the two had been charged with rape and murder of the 18-year-old girl, who worked at Good Luck casino in Bavet provincial town, but that the court had yet to deliver a guilty verdict.

“The provincial court has not decided whether they are guilty,” he said, adding that the case will proceed at an unspecified date.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants