Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers refuse relocation

Villagers refuse relocation

Villagers refuse relocation

Villagers whose homes will be destroyed if the controversial Lower Sesan 2 Dam is built are to deliver today a letter to provincial authorities announcing that they refuse to be resettled.

Meach Mean, coordinator of the 3S Rivers Protection Network, said the villagers, who hail from various communes in Stung Treng province’s Sesan district, will deliver a letter this morning to Kol Samol, provincial governor and chairman of the Committee for Solving the Impacts of the Lower Sesan 2 Hydropower Dam Project.

“They would like to submit the letter because they don’t want to move and they are not happy with the project,” he explained.

According to a 2010 environmental impact assessment, the 400-megawatt dam will flood five villages and displace about 5,000 people.

Mean said the villagers want the government to reassess the project.

“They want the government to hold another study and … find another alternative to building the dam that means they’re not relocated.”

The dam is a joint venture between Cambodian tycoon Kith Meng’s Royal Group and Hydrolancang International, a subsidiary of the state-owned China Huaneng Group, which formed Hydropower Lower Sesan II Co Ltd in November 2012.

In February, the Post revealed that preliminary construction at the dam site began in November 2013, despite official denials.

Dam Samnang, a representative of villagers at the reservoir site, said 14 people would submit the letter today.

MOST VIEWED

  • LPG gas explosion injures 13 people, including foreigners, in Siem Reap

    An explosion on Wednesday at a liquid petroleum gas (LPG) car and tuk-tuk refuelling station in Siem Reap city has left 13 people, including an American and a Briton, suffering burns. The seven most severely burned, including a provincial police officer, were sent to a Thai

  • Over 100 Chinese nationals to be deported for online scam

    The Ministry of Interior is planning to deport 128 Chinese nationals after they were arrested in Preah Sihanouk province on Wednesday for their alleged involvement in an online money extortion scam. Y Sokhy, the head of the Department of Counter-terrorism and Transnational Crime, told The Post

  • More than 800 people test positive for HIV in 2018

    The National Aids Authority (NAA) said more than 800 people tested positive for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) last year, joining over 76,000 others aged between 15 and 49 in the Kingdom already infected with the virus. The spread of HIV/AIDS in the Kingdom is showing few signs of

  • Rainsy vow to return on Nov 9 dismissed as ‘political warfare’

    An announcement from the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) that its “acting president” Sam Rainsy would return to the Kingdom on November 9 was dismissed on Sunday as “political warfare”. The CNRP made the announcement on Friday after a permanent committee meeting chaired by