Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers seek man’s release in timber case




Villagers seek man’s release in timber case

Villagers seek man’s release in timber case

SIEM REAP PROVINCE
ABOUT 40 protesters gathered in front of Siem Reap provincial court on Thursday to demand the release of a man who was arrested in January for allegedly cutting down trees in a protected forest area, saying that they purchased the land from a government official in 2007.

Chhoeut Chhong, 45, was arrested along with his two sons after officials accused them of illegally felling trees in Anlong Veng district, Oddar Meanchey province, Siem Reap provincial court judge Hok Pov said Thursday. The two sons were released later that month.

The protesters said Thursday that Chhoet Chhong and about 300 other villagers purchased 30-by-200-metre plots of land in Anlong Veng district for US$1,000 in 2007 from an “agent” acting on behalf of an Environment Ministry official.

The “agent”, Ry Heng, and the official, Keng Socheat, have been summoned to appear in court but have yet to do so, said Sous Narin, an investigator for the rights group Adhoc.

Roeun Rem, a 55-year-old man who participated in Thursday’s protest, said both Ry Heng and Keng Socheat should be made to answer to the villagers’ allegations.

“It is an injustice to detain [Chhoeut Chhong] while that environmental official and his agent live freely,” he said.

“I would like to ask Prime Minister Hun Sen to intervene in this case to help release an innocent man and to punish that official and his agent.”

Moeun Heak, Chhoeut Chhong’s wife, said she did not care what happened to the two men so long as her husband was released.

Ry Heng and Keng Socheat could not be reached for comment on Thursday.

Judge Hok Pov said he had told the protesters on Thursday that he would not release Chhoeut Chhong while his case was pending.

“I made the decision to keep him in prison because twice he has committed the crime of cutting down trees in the forest,” the judge said. “If he is allowed to leave, he will continue to do it again.”

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15