Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Violent scenes in a rice paddy

Violent scenes in a rice paddy

Violent scenes in a rice paddy

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

{jathumbnail}

One villager was shot and a policeman beaten unconscious as violent clashes broke out during an attempted land eviction in Kampong Speu province’s Oudong district yesterday.

At least 11 people, including four policemen, were injured as about 250 armed residents of Damnak Raing and Phnom Touch communes squared off with a 300-strong force of police and military police in Stock Slat village.

Authorities were attempting to enforce a 2009 Supreme Court order that awarded a 65-hectare plot of land, occupied by the villagers, to Meng Keth Company – owned by Taiwanese businessman Kuo Sheng.

Concerned residents stayed up all night to prepare for the eviction, transporting beds and entire houses to block National Road 51 at 3am to block the authorities’ path.

At about 11am the next day, however, a large group of police entered the area.

Yi Soksan, deputy investigation chief for rights group Adhoc, said that at 1pm about 52 shots were fired into the air and at villagers in what he called “a severe violation of human rights”.

As villagers fought back, armed with sticks, two women were hurt by electric batons.

One policeman was seized by a mob, before being held by villagers and beaten over the head.

His captors discussed whether to kill the officer but he was released 15 minutes later after rights groups intervened.

Mok Dim, Damnak Raing commune chief, confirmed that seven villagers had been injured.

“One was injured by a bullet, but it is a slight injury on the left hand,” he said. “Two villagers were rendered unconscious after being hit with electric batons.”

Khim Samon, Oudong district police chief, said late last night that three police officers and one military police officer had been hurt.

“One police officer has not yet awoken from being unconscious,” he said, adding that he did not know whether his force would continue with the eviction.

“It is up to the prosecutor,” he said.  

Following the battle, residents expressed anger that they had been shot at by fellow Cambodians.

Sun Bunchhoun, 42, who represents 88 families, shouted into a microphone that local authorities should not use guns to shoot Khmer people.

“It is so unfair for them to take Khmer land for another nationality ... what is the use of living if all the land is taken?” he said.

Ky Rinnun, 77, added: “We are willing to die to protect our lives – our lives are reliant on farmland.”

“We will struggle to the end,” said homeowner Phun Ny, whose house is under threat.

Local children were also supporting the fight. Sarin Rithy, 13, a student at Angtasit Primary School, used a slingshot to exchange fire against the authorities and said he was not afraid of soldiers’ guns.

Keo Pisey, Kampong Speu provincial police chief, and Men Sibuorn,  provincial deputy military police commander, could not be reached yesterday.

Khut Sopheang, the provincial prosecutor leading the implementation of the supreme court verdict, declined to comment.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY KHOUTH SOPHAK CHAKRYA

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia-Thailand rail reconnected after 45 years

    A railway reconnecting Cambodia and Thailand was officially inaugurated on Monday following a 45-year hiatus, with the two kingdoms’ prime ministers in attendance at the ceremony. On the occasion, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha travelled together from Thailand’s

  • Thousands attend CNRP-organised pro-democracy vigil in South Korea

    Thousands of supporters of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) on Saturday gathered in the South Korean city of Gwangju to hold a candlelight demonstration calling for the “liberation” of democracy in Cambodia. Yim Sinorn, a CNRP member in South Korea, said on

  • US Embassy: Chinese trade does not help like the West’s

    The US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Friday said relations between China and Cambodia did not create jobs or help industry when compared to the trade between the Kingdom and the US. “About 87 per cent of trade [with China] are Chinese imports, which do not

  • New airport study set for 2019

    A feasibility study on the construction of a new airport in the Kingdom will be launched later this year, according to a Ministry of Tourism spokesman on Monday. The plan was approved last week in a meeting held by the Ministry of Economy and Finance