Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - VN firm implicated in lake poisoning




VN firm implicated in lake poisoning

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The lake spans 2ha and is about 500m from company property and 3km from houses. Photo supplied

VN firm implicated in lake poisoning

Ratanakkiri provincial environment officers plan to inspect a lake after a fishing community accused a Vietnamese company of dumping bananas and plastic waste in it, poisoning the fish.

The authorities said the company had removed all its waste, but the recent reports have led to a resurgence of interest in its activities.

Ratanakkiri provincial Department of Environment director Phon Khemerin told The Post on Monday that a working group had instructed Hoang Anh Gia Lai Company to sign a contract agreeing to dispose of rubbish properly.

The recent reports, however, claim the company disposed of bananas and plastic waste in the lake at Trapaing Chres commune’s Pram village in Kon Mom district.

The provincial environment department is assigning officials to inspect it in the coming days. “If it is found the company is affecting the lake, it will be fined according to the law. Whether it is a company or a house, it has to have facilities to dispose of rubbish properly,” Khemerin said.

Pram Village fishing community leader Duk Channy said in May, residents spotted a Vietnamese firm transporting rubbish for disposal in the lake. After commune and district authorities and the community inspected it on June 26, the company tried to bury the rubbish instead.

She said the waste included plastic sacks and bottles. She described the scene as smelly from poisoned fish and said residents have stopped bathing in the water and halted fishing after developing rashes.

“It is a conserved lake of the fishing community. This [behaviour] not only poisons fish but also residents,” Channy said.

The lake spans 2ha and is about 500m from company property and 3km from houses. “There is a lot of rubbish, not a little. There are hundreds of lorries carrying tonnes of rubbish,” she said.

However, Kon Mom district governor Sek Hay said the company dug out the waste from the lake completely.

“They have removed it. It is not waste, but banana fruits that were dumped into the lake. We made [the company] sign a contract to remove it,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped