Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - VoIP ‘scammers’ from Taiwan sent to China



VoIP ‘scammers’ from Taiwan sent to China

Officials prepare to deport 63 Chinese and Taiwanese nationals to China yesterday after they were caught conducting a voice over internet protocol (VoIP) scam in Phnom Penh. Photo supplied
Officials prepare to deport 63 Chinese and Taiwanese nationals to China yesterday after they were caught conducting a voice over internet protocol (VoIP) scam in Phnom Penh. Photo supplied

VoIP ‘scammers’ from Taiwan sent to China

Immigration officials yesterday deported more than 60 Chinese and Taiwanese nationals to China for carrying out an internet scam in the capital, despite a similar deportation in June drawing protests from Taiwan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs when its citizens were sent to the mainland.

The 63 people, of whom 13 were Taiwanese, were conducting a voice over internet protocol (VoIP) scam from four houses in Chbar Ampov district’s Veal Sbov commune. They were caught after a two-month investigation into their activities, according to Uk Hai Seila, chief of investigations at the Immigration Department.

“We sent 63 Chinese [and Taiwanese] nationals back this afternoon for being involved with extorting money from China through VoIP,” Hai Seila said yesterday.

Hai Seila said the investigation was initiated after authorities got suspicious seeing “so many Chinese living” at one location. He added that the group was caught with seven laptops, 66 VoIP gateways, 100 desk phones and other equipment used in the illegal operation.

In June, China suspended ties between the two countries in reaction to Taiwan’s complaints over the “capturing” of 25 of its nationals involved in a similar scam.

The arrests of such alleged VoIP extortion rings are not uncommon. A joint crackdown with Chinese Interpol netted 118 Chinese nationals at a Banteay Meanchey casino earlier this year, though 80 of them were later released.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants