Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Voter registration ahead of schedule: NEC



Voter registration ahead of schedule: NEC

National Election Committee member Mean Satik speaks at a press conference in Phnom Penh yesterday.
National Election Committee member Mean Satik speaks at a press conference in Phnom Penh yesterday. Pha Lina

Voter registration ahead of schedule: NEC

With almost 2 million voters registered so far, the National Election Committee yesterday declared its roll-out of new digital voter lists to be ahead of schedule, though efforts to organise “free and fair” elections continued to be undermined by the persecution of opposition politicians, an election watchdog was quick to note.

Two weeks into the registration drive, senior NEC members yesterday provided a status report at a press conference in the capital.

NEC secretary-general Tep Nytha said that in 13 days almost 2 million citizens had been logged into the new system, a figure that boded well for registering Cambodia’s estimated 9.6 million eligible voters within the three-month timeframe.

“The result is better than we expected,” he said, adding that 53 per cent of registrants were women.

Nytha further mentioned that 88 percent of registrants used the new Khmer identification card, 9 percent used old ID cards and about 2 percent – 4,000 people – used identification certificates.

According to a statement, eight complaints related to registration have been lodged with commune councils thus far, while a further nine were received by the NEC’s Legal and Dispute Department.

NEC member and spokesman Hang Puthea said that most of the complaints were between individuals, giving the example of a ruling CPP complaint in Kampot against an opposition CNRP observer they claim interfered with registrants.

He cited a similar example in Siem Reap, though in that case the CNRP were the accusers.

“We are solving them,” he added.

Separately yesterday, the Electoral Reform Alliance released a statement demanding the government drop legal charges against CNRP president Sam Rainsy and deputy president Kem Sokha. Both men have been sentenced to jail time in cases widely considered politically motivated.

The group said the litigation undermined the party’s chance to compete and thus threatened the potential for free elections. “Both . . . Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha face the risk of losing their rights to stand [as candidates] and be voted for,” it noted.

Asked about the recent political tensions, NEC spokesman Puthea said “we want both parties to understand each other, talk to each other . . . and work to attract support”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and