Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Wanted Australian released from prison and deported




Wanted Australian released from prison and deported

Fugitive Australian Guido James Eglitis (centre) poses for a photo with officials last week before being deported to Thailand. Photo supplied
Fugitive Australian Guido James Eglitis (centre) poses for a photo with officials last week before being deported to Thailand. Photo supplied

Wanted Australian released from prison and deported

An Australian man, wanted by police in his native country on kidnapping and torture charges, was released from Siem Reap provincial prison and deported to Thailand last week and has since been pictured enjoying the nightlife in Bangkok.

Accompanied by immigration officials to the departure gate at Siem Reap International Airport, Guido James Eglitis, 70, flew to Thailand at 9:30pm on October 29, hours after completing his sentence and being released from custody, Siem Reap Immigration Police chief Chea Kimsan said yesterday.

Eglitis was arrested in October 2015 and subsequently convicted of assaulting UK national David Scotcher during a home invasion in Siem Reap. At the time of his arrest, it emerged that Eglitis had also been charged in Queensland for the 2007 abduction and torture of a businessman in Brisbane, but had reportedly skipped on bail.

In the wake of his capture, Queensland police told the Post they were “making enquiries into the possible extradition” of a 68-year-old suspect in the kidnapping case, in which Eglitis allegedly posed as an Australia Federal Police officer.

Kimsan said that although Australian police had visited Eglitis, no extradition request was lodged.

“I asked them about [the case in Australia], however they did not have any official documents related to what he had done in Australia, so we could not do anything,” Kimsan said.

Though he was detained just over a year ago, Kimsan said the provincial court had determined Eglitis’s 14-month sentence was complete. Court officials were unreachable yesterday.

“After he received his punishment by the law . . . he can go anywhere, but not Cambodia,” Kimsan said, adding that Eglitis was expelled under Article 34 of Cambodia’s Law on Immigration.

Brett Hastie, a New Zealand man arrested alongside Eglitis, was released without charge after authorities determined Eglitis had posed as an Australian police officer in enlisting his help to “arrest” Scotcher, Kimsan said.

Queensland Police’s media team did not respond by press time yesterday.

The Brisbane Times yesterday published photos of Eglitis at a bar in Bangkok on Monday taken by witnesses who had seen him drinking in the area.

The site said Eglitis had also been sentenced to four years’ prison in the US on fraud charges in 1988.

The fugitive has also been linked to the suspicious death of Canadian journalist Dave Walker, whose decomposed body was discovered in the Angkor archaeological park in 2014.

According to Walker’s friends and family, Eglitis misrepresented himself as an investigator probing Walker’s death on behalf of Cambodian, US, Australian and Canadian governments.

MOST VIEWED

  • Vietnam: Tougher sentences for child abusers

    Several National Assembly (NA) deputies in Vietnam are calling for tougher penalties to be handed down to child abusers. They hope stricter punishments will act as a strong deterrent to prevent offenders committing further offences in the future. Extreme measures such as chemical castration were

  • Central bank to shun small US banknotes

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) is considering not accepting smaller denominated US dollar banknotes – $1, $2 and $5 – from banks and microfinance institutions (MFIs) which it said are flooding its stockpile as the demand for those notes is low. While some banking insiders welcomed the move as

  • PM lauded in Covid-19 fight

    World Health Organisation (WHO) director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus sent a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen thanking him for following the WHO’s guidance and commending Cambodia’s efforts in the fight against Covid-19. In his letter made public by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

  • Workers return, hope for salaries

    More than 600 factory workers in the capital’s Chaom Chao commune in Por Sen Chey district returned to work after the factory’s owner promised to pay their salaries in instalments until the middle of next month. On Tuesday and Wednesday, more than 600 workers gathered

  • Women detained for forcing kids to beg

    Two women were sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Thursday for forcing six children to beg for money for several months at the Chhouk Meas market in Krang Thnong commune in the capital’s Sen Sok district. Phnom Penh Department of Anti-human Trafficking and

  • Vietnamese tents baffle border guards

    Kandal and Takeo provincial authorities bordering Vietnam have expressed concern after witnessing irregularities by the Vietnamese authorities, including the deployment of soldiers to erect 114 camps just 30m from the border. Takeo provincial governor Ouch Phea told The Post on Thursday that Vietnamese soldiers had erected 83