Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Warrant out for analyst Kim Sok

Warrant out for analyst Kim Sok

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Political analyst Kim Sok walks with Buddhist monks to the Phnom Penh municipal court last year. Heng Chivoan

Warrant out for analyst Kim Sok

Release from prison on August 17, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court has issued a fresh warrant to political analyst Kim Sok to appear on September 14 to answer charges related to public defamation and inciting unrest.

Commenting on the latest development, Sok’s lawyer Choung Choungy, told The Post that he has not received the warrant as of Monday.

“For the public defamation and incitement charges, Sok has appointed me to be his lawyer since last year. I will be present at the court to defend my client’s rights if I receive the warrant,” he said.

The warrant dated August 28, and signed by investigating judge Leang Samnat, said the 38-year-old Sok is being investigated for public defamation and to incite crime in Phnom Penh on February 13, 2017, based on Article 305, 494 and 495 of the Criminal Code.

The warrant has instructed Sok to appear at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on September 14 at 8:30am.

Following his release, Sok and his six-year-old daughter are believed to have fled the country, claiming it was for their personal safety as Prime Minister-designate Hun Sen has threatened to arrest him again if continues to criticise the government.

Sok was freed from prison after spending 18 months in jail on defamation charges – for accusing the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) for the murder of fellow analyst Kem Ley, a strong critic of the government who was shot dead on July 10, 2016.

The court has also ordered Sok to pay $200,000 in damages to the CPP.

Responding to the warrant, Sok told The Post from his secret location that Hun Sen used the courts to oppress freedom of expression among the poor people.

Hun Sen is distancing himself from the Paris Peace Agreement which is the foundation for the establishment of the 1993 Constitution. It clearly outlines the people’s freedom and their political rights, he said.

“It is very clear that Hun Sen’s goal is to strengthen [his] family’s power and it [his goal] is not for the country or the people."

“Regarding my warrant to appear in the court again, it only shows that Hun Sen does not care about destroying other people’s [lives]. He is brave to use any trick to win and remain in power, and he is shameless,” Sok claimed.

MOST VIEWED

  • US imposes sanctions on Oknha Pheap and Kun Kim

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation expressed strong dismay on Monday over the designation of Cambodian tycoon Oknha Try Pheap and General Kun Kim under the US’ Global Magnitsky Act. “It is very disturbing when the public figures of a country become the

  • Mother, daughter killed in hotel fire

    The bodies of a mother and daughter were found locked in an embrace after they were killed in a hotel fire in Phnom Penh at around 3:30am on Wednesday at the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel and Restaurant in Phsar Doeum Kor commune, in the capital’

  • EBA withdrawal a destruction of EU achievements, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the EU’s possible suspension of its Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement amounted to a destruction of its achievements in the Kingdom and the demise of the opposition group. Hun Sen made the remarks while addressing more than 6,700 students during

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • US told to refrain from interfering in Sokha case

    Senior Cambodian officials said on Thursday that the US can monitor Kem Sokha’s trial as it wishes but would not be allowed to interfere in court procedures. The point was made in response to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s comments on Wednesday

  • Europe expected to consider EBA efforts, impact

    The government said it expects the European Commission to consider its efforts to comply with the “Everything But Arms” (EBA) regulations and the impact on one million workers should access to the agreement be suspended in February. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation