The RCAF General Command has issued warrants for the arrest of three military officers in connection with the attempted murder of three forestry administration officers in Siem Reap in 2010.
The three forestry officials’ defence lawyer, Kouy Thunna, had petitioned for intervention into the case, according to letters from RCAF Cabinet Chief General Morm Sam obtained by the Post yesterday.
Kouy Thunna said he appreciated the strong action, and hoped the suspects would be arrested and brought to justice.
He said three soldiers were charged by the Siem Reap Provincial Court in February this year with attempted murder and other charges relating to an incident on October 30 last year in Sre Por Village, Sre Nov Commune, Varin District, in Siem Reap.
He said the court had issued the warrant for their arrest on March 3, 2011, but they had not not yet been arrested because they were working as the 5th Military Intervention Sub-Division’s soldiers.
The three forestry officials told the Post yesterday that on October 30, 2010, while on patrol, they stopped a Toyota Camry driven by the three soldiers and carrying a total of two cubic metres of luxury wood, which they subsequently confiscated.
As the forestry officials were driving back to their office, the three soldiers chased them and shot at the car repeatedly.
The three soldiers could not be reached for comment yesterday.