Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Warrants issued over ‘plot to kill MP official’



Warrants issued over ‘plot to kill MP official’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Nha Viseth, deputy commander-in-chief of the Military Police’s Justice Department, at a hospital in Preah Sihanouk province. Photo supplied

Warrants issued over ‘plot to kill MP official’

Arrest warrants have been issued by the Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court for three suspects allegedly involved in a plot to murder a Military Police official, the provincial prosecutor said on Thursday.

Nha Viseth, the deputy head of Preah Sihanouk provincial Military Police’s Justice Department, was severely injured on June 9, after jumping out of a moving SUV, the owner of which is claimed to be Moeung Sreytouch, a gang leader who was found to be illegally logging an area in Prey Nub district.

The injured Viseth was admitted to hospital after the incident. He recounted that after getting into the SUV with the gang members, he realised his life was in danger, forcing him to jump out of the vehicle.

“In the process, my right ear was almost torn off and I suffered bruises and other injuries throughout my body,” he previously said.

Chat Soraksmey, Preah Sihanouk’s provincial prosecutor, said on Thursday: “The suspects have been charged with attempted murder and arrest warrants have been issued to bring Moeung Sreytouch and her gang members to court to solve the case procedurally.”

Eng Hy, the spokesman for the National Military Police, said that investigators are now probing the case as well as other charges against Sreytouch or her accomplices.

In April this year, she was sued by Keo Pha, head of the provincial department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Department, for allegedly “clearing and controlling forestland illegally in Poy Machov, located in Korki village, Bet Trang commune, Prey Nub district”.

Sreytouch has also been accused of falsely using the names of government officials to intimidate villagers in the area and grabbing land.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could