Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Waste collection bidding to begin soon, municipal hall says

Waste collection bidding to begin soon, municipal hall says

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Many local companies and also others from China, South Korea and Japan have shown interest in joining the bidding process to aid City Hall’s waste management reforms. Heng Chivoan

Waste collection bidding to begin soon, municipal hall says

The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall will soon open the bidding process to choose at least three new waste collection companies for the capital as it works on reforming waste management systems to better serve the public and reduce rubbish pollution on the streets.

Municipal hall spokesman Meth Meas Pheakdey told The Post on Sunday that a specific date has not yet been set, but the bidding process will likely open in late February or early March.

“We have completed much of our work to be ready and we are close to the bidding window. Perhaps during this month or early next month, we will announce a bidding process and study submissions of application forms thoroughly.

“Since Samdech Hun Sen decided to remove the right of waste collection company Cintri (Cambodia) Ltd, we are now looking for three or four companies to collect rubbish instead of a company doing the work alone because apparently, that is not good,” he said.

Cintri’s contract was ended after years of poor management and the government announced that the city would eventually be divided into four zones with four new companies hired.

Meas Pheakdey said as the government has been working on waste management reforms, many local companies and also others from China, South Korea and Japan have made presentations and shown interest in joining the bidding process.

Meas Pheakdey said he could not yet reveal how the city would be divided into waste collection zones because the process is still ongoing.

However, he said it would be divided into at least three areas for at least three waste collection companies for waste management to improve.

Ministry of Economy and Finance spokesman Meas Soksesan told The Post on Sunday that the bidding process would be open to various companies without discrimination.

He said the companies would be bidding to oversee a range of services under the umbrella of an autonomous company managed by Municipal hall along with help from relevant ministries.

“We welcome all companies to bid with fair and transparent competition. We welcome all companies at home and abroad to bid, and as long as they have the potential to meet technical requirements of the working group [autonomous company], they will obtain the rights,” he said.

After a meeting with Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on Wednesday, Prime Minister Hun Sen said in a Facebook post that the municipal hall and the Ministry of Economy and Finance are now collecting rubbish temporarily because the old company could not do the work anymore.

“Soon, the two institutions, the municipal hall and the Ministry of Economy and Finance will put the process up for bidding. So, any Japanese companies that have interest should join the bidding to help collect this rubbish,” the post said.

The post noted that the ambassador said Japan is studying ways to aid the improvement of waste management and that at least three Japanese companies are interested in joining the bidding process.

Affiliated Network for Social Accountability executive director San Chey said waste management issues under Cintri were chronic.

He said the bidding process and new waste management system should improve the situation and that it must be carried out with transparency to ensure effective results.

“Beginning from now on, we want to see the slowness of rubbish collection improved and companies carry out their work efficiently,” he said.

A report released late last year by the Ministry of Environment said Cambodia produces more than 10,000 tonnes of rubbish a day, equivalent to nearly four million tonnes a year.

Of that, 65 per cent is organic waste, 20 per cent plastic waste and the rest solid and other waste. Phnom Penh alone produces an estimated 3,000 tonnes of rubbish a day.

MOST VIEWED

  • WHO: Covid in Cambodia goes into new phase

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia said that Cambodia has reached a new phase of the pandemic with “decreasing case numbers, high vaccination coverage and a more transmissible circulating variant threatening a hidden surge”. In a press release on September 6, the WHO said that

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • 'Pursue your goals, reach out to me': Young diplomat tapped as envoy to South Korea

    Chring Botum Rangsay was a secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation before being designated as the new Cambodian ambassador to South Korea. According to her official CV published on the foreign ministry’s website, she started her first government

  • School reopening ‘offers model for other sectors’

    World Health Organisation (WHO) representative to Cambodia Li Ailan said school reopening process should be used as a role model for reopening other sectors currently mothballed by the Covid-19 pandemic. Li strongly supports the government’s decision to reopen schools, saying it is a decision

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Covid jab drive for 6-11 age group to begin Sept 17

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has permitted Covid-19 vaccinations for over 1.8 million children aged 6-11 across the country from September 17 in order for them to return to school after a long hiatus. Hun Sen also hinted that vaccinations for the 3-6 age group will follow in