Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Waste management firms plan mobile service app

Waste management firms plan mobile service app

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Workers collect rubbish in Chak Angre Leu commune in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district last month. Hean Rangsey

Waste management firms plan mobile service app

A meeting was held at Phnom Penh municipal hall discussing the establishment of a phone app for the solid waste management system.

Phnom Penh municipal deputy governor Huot Hay headed the meeting on February 15 which was attended by representatives from Optistech Co Ltd and other stakeholders.

Nuon Samnavuth, the municipal hall’s Solid Waste Management Authority, told The Post that the meeting was held to discuss the establishment of a rubbish management system through a phone app for consumers.

The app would allow consumers to check on rubbish collection services and to monitor their service and ease the task of managing waste disposal across the capital.

“This app provides them with an easy way of paying their service fees on their smartphones. Through the app they could check their bill and get other informaton relating to rubbish collection services,” he said.

Because the app is newly established Samnavuth underscored that when the working group concluded their discussions on the matter they will then announce more detailed information regarding uses for the app in the future.

“We are working on this app right now and the details haven’t yet been formalized. When we finish the planning for it decisions will have to be made at the upper management levels,” he said.

The Phnom Penh municipal hall announced on February 5 that Singaporean and Chinese companies had put in successful bids for the rights to collect and manage rubbish in two areas of the city. The waste collection company Cintri retained the right to continue to provide service in a third area.

The Phnom Penh municipal hall said that the three companies will provide the rubbish collection services in their respective areas beginning in May and that each company expressed a determination to serve the needs of their clients.

On October 22, 2019, Prime Minister Hun Sen revoked the monopoly rights held by Cintri for rubbish collection and disposal in Phnom Penh and the city’s municipal administration took over temporary management of waste collection until a new company could be found to replace Cintri.

After the revocation, the Phnom Penh municipal hall also introduced reforms to service provisons such as moving the billing for rubbish collection fees from the electricty invoices and instituting the use of service payments through modern technological means.

Tuol Kork district resident Vichhay said on February 15 that the change has been for the better.

He said that the behaviour of the waste collectors and service providers is now better, though that doesn’t mean that it is perfect. He expects that when the three companies start to work people will receive even better service.

“We are notified in a timely manner and we’ve had no problem at all with the monthly payment services. They have collected rubbish without leaving any behind. If the authorities want to create the an app system for the rubbish collection service, I guess that’s good,” he said.

The government has decided to divide Phnom Penh into three areas for managing the waste collection services and they contracted three separate companies to manage these areas.

The first area consists of the districts of Tuol Kork, Russey Keo, Sen Sok, Chroy Changvar and Prek Pnov and the second area consists of the districts of Dangkor, Por Sen Chey, Kambol, Daun Penh, and Prampi Makara. And the third area, to be managed by Cintri, consists of the districts of Chamkarmon, Meanchey, Chbar Ampov and Boeung Keng Kang.

MOST VIEWED

  • WHO: Covid in Cambodia goes into new phase

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia said that Cambodia has reached a new phase of the pandemic with “decreasing case numbers, high vaccination coverage and a more transmissible circulating variant threatening a hidden surge”. In a press release on September 6, the WHO said that

  • SOPs steer ‘new normal’ tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism has introduced a set of minimum standard operating procedures (SOP) for four major classes of tourism businesses, which is geared towards the “new normal” of the industry. These SOPs are tailored to support businesses in their daily activities and enable them

  • Sleepless in sin city – Will half-sized, outlawed online gambling sector persist below the surface in Cambodia?

    Chinese authorities are coming down hard on online gambling. Similar events are starting to happen in Cambodia, raising questions as to how all of this will end It is 1:30pm, Sotheary (not her real name) is sitting on the wooden floor of her house, facing

  • 'Pursue your goals, reach out to me': Young diplomat tapped as envoy to South Korea

    Chring Botum Rangsay was a secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation before being designated as the new Cambodian ambassador to South Korea. According to her official CV published on the foreign ministry’s website, she started her first government

  • International air visitor arrivals dip 93%

    The number of foreign tourists entering Cambodia through the Kingdom’s three international airports witnessed a sharp 92.5 per cent year-on-year decline in the first seven months of this year, according to the Ministry of Tourism. The airports handled 51,729 international tourists in the January-July period versus

  • School reopening ‘offers model for other sectors’

    World Health Organisation (WHO) representative to Cambodia Li Ailan said school reopening process should be used as a role model for reopening other sectors currently mothballed by the Covid-19 pandemic. Li strongly supports the government’s decision to reopen schools, saying it is a decision