Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Waste situation potential ‘disaster’

Waste situation potential ‘disaster’

garbage for reusable waste
A young boy scavenges through garbage for reusable waste at Choeung Ek dump site in Phnom Penh last year. Pha Lina

Waste situation potential ‘disaster’

Piles of garbage may finally be disappearing from Phnom Penh streets after a strike by the city's trash collectors, but Phnom Penh is headed for disaster within five years unless it gets its waste management on track, according to an expert.

As workers for the city’s waste-management company Cintri returned to work on Wednesday after agreeing to wage increases, it emerged that the city’s Dangkor landfill, opened in 2009, could reach capacity in four to six years.

If it were to happen, the result could be crippling for an already drastically underfunded sector dogged by strikes.

A recent study by COMPED and a German engineering firm that analysed Dangkor’s capacity estimates that the cost of a new dump site would rise from $11.9 million this year to $35 million by 2022.

“Basically, there is about 1,500 tonnes a day going into landfill untreated,” said Jon Morales, program manager for the Asia Foundation’s Urban Services Program in Cambodia. “It is filling up very quickly and land is becoming more expensive, and [it’s] further out from the city, meaning driving there is more expensive.”

With the clock ticking, City Hall is searching for investors to help build an incineration plant to ease the pressure on the current site.

Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Aunny Ieng said the municipality had five interested companies, including firms from China, Thailand and Belgium, though he declined to name them.

“We are still looking and need to identity clearly the capacity and ability of investors who could do it,” Ieng said, adding that the future plant would also generate electricity and construction materials.

Phnom Penh Governor Pa Socheatvong also used a recent meeting with a delegation from China’s Tianjin province to appeal for investment in waste management and recycling in Cambodia.

Phnom Penh’s daily waste is set to increase nearly 50 per cent to 2,200 tonnes by 2020, and without a “profound change”, the city could be shelling out tens of millions of dollars every four to six years on new dumpsites, according to the report.

Funded by the Asia Foundation, the study found that using a compactor at the current landfill could extend its capacity to just over six years, while using a compactor and biologically treating the waste would push that to almost 12 years.

However, the report recommends a 15,000-square-metre $1.2 million composting plant, which it estimates will keep Dangkor operational for another 22 years.

Given that about 50 per cent of the city’s waste is organic, Morales said it could also be recycled into natural gas and methane.

He calculated the municipality’s current plan of incineration could extend the landfill’s lifespan by another four to five years, adding if nothing was done, the situation would become “a slow moving disaster”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a