Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Water Fest, sans unrest

Water Fest, sans unrest

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Fireworks over the Tonle Sap as part of Water Festival celebrations. Hong Menea

Water Fest, sans unrest

Despite some prefestival jitters over the possibility of protests in the capital, officials yesterday said the Water Festival went smoothly over the weekend, with nearly 3 million observers in attendance. Despite a reportedly larger crowd than last year, crime during the festival was low, said Touch Naroth, Phnom Penh Municipal Police chief.

The main problem plaguing authorities, he said, were cases of children being separated from their parents. “There were 58 cases of missing children. Fifty-seven are solved, but one case remains. We are waiting for the parents to come pick up their child . . . For these three days there were just a few cases of pick-pocketing and [bag] snatching,” Naroth said.

City Hall spokesman Met Measpheakdey said the 3 million attendees included both Phnom Penh locals and rural Cambodians who travelled to the capital for the festivities. He said garbage disposal continued to be a problem, but that clean-up had improved compared to last year, when workers were caught on video after the festival sweeping mounds of garbage into the Tonle Sap river.

“We added 2,000 rubbish bins. At night they collected the rubbish . . . People are becoming more civilised, not just throwing the garbage on the ground,” he said.

Soum Cheng, a 26-year-old motodop, noticed an increase in security forces this year, with police, Military Police and Hun Sen’s personal Bodyguard Unit out in the crowds and on street corners since last week. “I felt safe,” he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on