Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - W&D workers protest sackings



W&D workers protest sackings

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Hundreds of workers from the W&D factory protest at Phnom Penh Municipal Court demanding their colleagues be reinstated. Heng Chivoan

W&D workers protest sackings

More than 100 workers from the W&D factory gathered in front of Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday in a show of support for six representatives who are appealing the ruling over their dismissal.

The owner of the W&D factory fired some 1,200 employees early last month after protests demanding improved conditions.

The factory issued an ultimatum – supported by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court – that the striking workers return to their jobs within 48 hours or be dismissed.

The workers responded to the ultimatum by occupying the factory, with their representatives saying they would not give in until the factory owners met their demands.

Soeun Bros, one of the six workers representatives, told The Post on Monday that the workers had followed the court-supported ultimatum that required them to return to work between January 2-3.

He said factory owners then sacked the nearly 1,200 workers anyway, with factory representatives claiming the workers failed to comply with the ultimatum. The workers appealed the ultimatum on January 24.

“On December 31 last year, the Arbitration Council ordered striking workers to return to work."

“To follow the court-imposed ultimatum, the workers returned to work for an afternoon on January 2 and another on January 3, but they were still sacked on January 4. That’s why we appealed the court’s and Arbitration Council’s decision,” he said.

Lim Borei, another of the six, said the workers had less work to do after the factory had taken away some of its equipment during the strike. That, he said, prompted the factory owners to complain to the court and Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training before dismissing the workers.

“Some workers had nothing to do after the factory removed the equipment, leaving only a small amount of material. With nothing to do, some workers sat or slept. Photos were taken as proof of inaction only in sections where workers sat around. They didn’t take photos of those who could work,” he said.

The workers who gathered before the municipal court on Monday said the court had upheld the ultimatum despite their protest.

Factory representative and defence lawyer, Taing Meng, told The Post on Monday that factory owners had merely followed legal procedure.

“The workers appealed the ultimatum because they want to go back on strike,” he said.

Seang Yuth, an official at the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union (C.CAWDU), disagreed, saying the workers had asked the court to reverse its decision because the ultimatum violated their rights.

“[The ultimatum] seemed to prohibit workers from peaceful protest and violated their rights to express their opinions, which is guaranteed by the Constitution,” he said.

On Wednesday last weeek, Prime Minister Hun Sen called on factory owners to stop dismissing workers as a way to end disputes.

Instead, he urged dialogue and instructed the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training to ensure all legal mechanisms are followed to avoid protests.

A union leader hailed the prime minister’s comments, saying protection from the prime minister regarding unfair dismissal is a positive development for Cambodian workers.

“I call on all factory owners to not use dismissal in disputes. Dialogue between factory owners, unions and worker representatives is really the best way,” he told around 10,000 garment workers from 34 factories in Kandal province on Wednesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from