Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Wedding rice wine blamed for Stung Treng man’s death

Wedding rice wine blamed for Stung Treng man’s death

Wedding rice wine blamed for Stung Treng man’s death

Rice wine consumed at a wedding in Stung Treng’s Sesan district is suspected to have caused one man’s death and another’s hospitalisation on Monday.

The incident adds to a deadly national tally that created widespread concern late last year – including calls from the Ministry of Health to avoid the homemade brew altogether – while a law meant to regulate alcohol production remains stuck at the Council of Ministers.

Sesan district police chief Orn Sam Ath identified the deceased as 27-year-old Sot Chan, who was drinking with relatives at a wedding in Srekor commune.

“He served himself and he convulsed and died after he bottomed three glasses of wine,” he said, adding that the cause of death is not yet confirmed, pending test results. Sam Ath said that the other victim has since recovered.

The draft law on alcohol regulation, completed in July 2015, was forwarded to the Council of Ministers where it has sat since is to include controls on informally produced alcohol.

Yel Daravuth, alcohol specialist at WHO Cambodia, said he has yet to hear an update since it was forwarded by the Health Ministry.

Dr Mom Kong, director of the Cambodian Movement for Health, yesterday said his group is continuing to advocate for alcohol regulations, despite the draft law being “stuck there”.

“We ask for support from the policymakers,” he said. Spokespersons for the Ministry of Health, Council of Ministers and Ministry of Commerce could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Additional reporting by Alessandro Marazzi Sassoon

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for

  • Cross-border deal inked to maintain trade amid Covid-19

    Cambodia and Vietnam have agreed to allow cargo trailers to enter the common Bavet-Moc Bai border, located in Cambodia’ Svay Rieng province (Bavet) and Vietnam’s Tay Ninh province (Moc Bai) after movement restrictions were enforced to prevent a Covid-19 outbreak. The decision was made