Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Welcome back, No.1



Welcome back, No.1

Welcome back, No.1

The Editor,

I hadn't seen him around for some time. His absence had been noted even prior

to the "events" of July, but when that happened it only heightened my concern

for him. I looked for his name in the daily newspapers as one of those who left the

country or one who may have mysteriously disappeared, but his name was never mentioned.

He just happens to be one of the greatest resistance fighters of this century, and

if he did disappear into the marquis he was going to be missed by everyone except,

of course, by those in the archdiocese.

His presence was always felt at major events in the city as he stood high amongst

the crowd. Yes, his ego was inflated and this may have led to his always proclaiming

that he was "number one", but who could blame him? Up to this point in

history he had stopped more of the enemy than anyone else including those who were

advocating some kind of alternative or rhythm method.

In all the political, social and moral upheaval that seems to surround him, he always

maintains that benign smile. The more you were around it the more it grew on you

just as you, also, begin to appreciate that fine set of clothes he wears and admire

that wonderful psi rating he has been awarded. He is truly an admirable character

and he deserves all the accolades, honor and respect the community of man owes him.

It's a shame so many oppose him, but what can you expect from the righteous?

He did reappear as I hoped he would. I spotted him in somewhat of a smaller stature

than usual at the recently completed Water Festival. There was no mistaking that

smile nor the raised forefinger and even though he looked a little worn and somewhat

disheveled he stood proudly amongst the throngs as they gathered around him to honor

his fight against an insidious enemy. Welcome back Condom Man! You really are "number

one!".

- David Hagenson, Phnom Penh.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said