Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Western trio feared dead after finds



Western trio feared dead after finds

Western trio feared dead after finds

S TRONG evidence has emerged that three Westerners abducted on Route 4 have been

killed, British, Australian and Cambodian authorities have said. However some

family members are still holding out hope they may be alive.

Human

remains and clothing have been recovered from a guerrilla camp 4 km from where

Briton Dominic Chappell, 25, his Australian girlfriend Kellie Wilkinson, 24, and

their British friend Tina Dominy, 23, were kidnapped at gunpoint.

Australian Foreign Minister Senator Gareth Evans said in a statement:

"Forensic testing in London has established that the remains are from three

Caucasians, including at least one male and one female.

"The balance of

the available evidence, including the condition of the material recovered,

suggests that the three may have been murdered quite soon after their abduction

April 11."

Results from further testing expected to be conclusive had yet

to be released as the Post went to press and Dominic's father David Chappell

said: "There must be still some slight glimmer of hope they are

alive."

But he added he was close to coming to terms with the fact that

his son might be dead.

The freelance photographer and advertising

designer remained in Cambodia after his ex-wife Phyllida, daughter Gabrielle and

Tina's parents Denis and Yvonne returned to England.

Wilkinson's father

Peter flew back to be with his wife Gabrielle in Australia after news about the

discovery of remains broke. He had remained in Sihanoukville since soon after

the abductions took place near Than Ny village, around 100 km north of the

port.

Some family members were flown over along with journalist Nick

Fielding by British newspaper the Mail on Sunday to make a new appeal for

information about the trio earlier in July.

A second report on July 17,

written by Fielding in the first person, stated as fact that the hostages were

dead.

This forced the authorities into prematurely releasing information

about the discovery of human remains before testing was conclusive.

The

younger Chappell and Wilkinson ran the popular Mediterranean-style restaurant

Rendezvous in Sihanoukville and were returning from the capital with supplies

for the Khmer New Year when they were abducted. Tina had decided to extend her

holiday in Cambodia for the festivities.

Up to 30 armed men were stealing

a truck ahead of their taxi which became caught in a jam.

In an

apparently opportunistic act some of the guerrillas kidnapped the

trio.

Cambodian authorities blamed the Khmer Rouge for the kidnappings

though the faction repeatedly denied being involved.

Gangs of bandits as

well as Khmer Rouge guerrillas are known to operate in the area and the

Australian and British diplomats are now backing away from earlier conviction

that the KR were responsible.

The KR took a number of Westerners hostage

in the run up to last year's elections but all were subsequently released

unharmed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and