Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - What began as robbery gets 15 years

What began as robbery gets 15 years

What began as robbery gets 15 years

Two men were sentenced to 15 years in prison each for breaking into a home, robbing it and engaging in a shootout with police when the authorities tracked them down to make an arrest.

Long Kesaror, a judge at Phnom Penh Municipal Court, said Bou Sam Nang, 28, and Khean Tola, 26, were also each ordered to pay 10 million riel ($2,500) in compensation for items taken during the robbery.

The two were found guilty of breaking into a villager’s house in Sen Sok district’s Thmey commune in January last year while no one was home and stealing $5,000 worth of personal property.

“They have looted money and other valuable things and escaped,” he said.

The first charge of stealing with aggravated circumstance is tied to the robbery, but the second charge – using a weapon without authorisation – stems from the shootout that occurred when police tried to make an arrest in Sen Sok two days after the robbery.

“During the raid, they also opened fire, shooting about five bullets at our police,” Kesaror said.

The two men and their defence lawyer could not be reached for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,