Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - White Building demolition soon to begin



White Building demolition soon to begin

The iconic White Building in Phnom Penh is slated to be razed soon after the structure’s 493 families leave the crumbling structure.
The iconic White Building in Phnom Penh is slated to be razed soon after the structure’s 493 families leave the crumbling structure. Hong Menea

White Building demolition soon to begin

The Ministry of Land Management yesterday announced that the decades-old White Building in the capital will be demolished starting July 17 in order to make way for a new 21-storey structure.

The announcement was released late yesterday evening and said the process of taking down the crumbling structure will cause some disturbances for those living close to the White Building.

“This demolition will lead to a disruption to the people living around the location as well as passers-by and will require carefulness and cooperation,” the short notification reads.

The dilapidated structure will make way for a 21-storey building that will be constructed by Japanese firm Arakawa Co, for an estimated cost of $70 million.

While five floors of the new building had been set aside for residents, most residents have chosen to take the $1,400-per-square-metre payout, with 468 of the 493 families having vacated the building as of yesterday. Ministry spokesman Seang Lot said it would take a few weeks to tear down the structure and that fewer than 10 families had yet to take the compensation, though he was confident they would before the July 17 deadline.

See more:

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.