Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - White Building holdouts




White Building holdouts

The view from the White Building yesterday in Phnom Penh.
The view from the White Building yesterday in Phnom Penh. Pha Lina

White Building holdouts

More than 430 of the 493 families who formerly resided in Phnom Penh’s White Building have vacated the premises, but around 15 families have yet to accept compensation packages for their apartments, according to a Land Management Ministry official.

The building is slated to be demolished and replaced by a 21-storey structure constructed by Japanese firm Arakawa Co. Hue Chenda, deputy director for the Land Management Ministry’s Housing Department, said the holdouts wanted more than the $1,400 per square metre on offer for their dilapidated apartment units, which he likened to secondhand ‘sleeping mats’.

White Building residents sign contracts accepting compensation offered by the Land Ministry yesterday on Friday at the ministry. Facebook
White Building residents sign contracts accepting compensation offered by the Land Ministry yesterday on Friday at the ministry. Facebook

“If it is a golden mat, then it is OK. But they want to sell a ruined mat to buy a villa,” he said yesterday. “But what we can say is that they are greedy.”

Starting June 6, families began to pack up their belongings and move to new homes across the city. While the ministry originally set a July 6 deadline for the move, Chenda yesterday said it had been extended to July 20.

See more:

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.