Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - WHO probes patient death at drug clinic



WHO probes patient death at drug clinic

WHO probes patient death at drug clinic

A WORLD Health Organisation official said yesterday that a heroin user participating in the government’s new methadone programme had died, though he could not say whether the death was related to the programme.

Graham Shaw, a WHO technical adviser on drug use who designed the pilot programme for methadone therapy, could not provide many details about the death, and noted that an investigation was ongoing.

“We do know [the person] had respiratory problems, but without an autopsy we won’t know the actual cause of death,” he said. “We’re still trying to get the information before we can say to what extent it was related to methadone.”

He added: “It’s very sad. This is the first person on the programme that has died.”

Chhit Sophal, the head of the methadone clinic, located at the Cambodian-Russian Friendship Hospital in Phnom Penh, said yesterday that he hadn’t heard about the death.

“I don’t think so here,” he said when asked about it.

He speculated that the deceased might have died from using “other drugs, but not methadone”.

“They need to use the methadone at the clinic, where they are observed before they go home,” he said.

The programme, referred to as Methadone Maintenance Therapy, replaces heroin with controlled doses of methadone, a synthetic opioid that has similar effects. Proponents say MMT allows drug users to stabilise their lives and decreases the risk of HIV transmission through the use of shared needles.

The clinic, which Shaw said has about 60 patients, officially opens on Wednesday, though a trial version has been operating since July 1.

“The clinic is doing well so far, but it’s just one of those incidents,” he said. “One of the issues is that it is not possible to follow them day and night, to police them.

“The first two months on the methadone programme are a risky time,” Shaw said. “We’ll visit the clinic [today] and be reviewing what has happened, to find what can be learned from this.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting