Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Witness workaround for Sary team, prosecutors




Witness workaround for Sary team, prosecutors

Witness workaround for Sary team, prosecutors

Ieng Sary’s defence team came to an “understanding” with prosecutors and the Khmer Rouge tribunal trial chamber yesterday that will prevent the former Minister of Foreign Affairs’ health concerns from severely delaying proceedings.

In a hearing that took place during yesterday’s afternoon session, Ieng Sary co-counsel Michael Karnavas said that his client had agreed to waive his right to be present for the questioning of 18 witnesses whose testimony was not expected to include information directly pertaining to Sary’s defence.

However, Karnavas said, if the witnesses’ testimonies do unexpectedly relate to Sary’s own conduct, rather than halt the proceedings, the defence would reserve the right call the witness back for cross-examination after a consultation with Sary.

“Of course, every witness is going to come here and say ‘the leaders did this’, or ‘the upper echelon did that’,” Karnavas said, explaining that he would only feel the need to recall witnesses whose testimonies pertained to specifically to his client’s actions. “[These terms] will touch upon Mr Ieng Sary, but we just have to be realistic.”

According to Karnavas, the  witnesses the court can now hear should keep the tribunal busy until late December.

Co-prosecutor William Smith said his own “calculations indicate that this is correct”, adding that there may be even more witnesses beyond those suggested by the defence who the court could hear in Sary’s absence, enough even to “keep us occupied up to, and maybe a little beyond Christmas”.

A few days ago, Sary – who has been hospitalised for weeks – withdrew his waiver for the testimony of witness TCW-428 after a new document was admitted in which he mentioned Sary explicitly.

But thanks to today’s understanding, said Karnavas, that testimony can continue today as previously scheduled.

“Mr Ieng Sary is co-operating to the maximum to ensure that the proceedings are not delayed,” he said after the hearing had ended. “Now we’ve reached an understanding, where if something unexpected pops up, we can deal with it without being disruptive.”

Karnavas noted that the understanding does not extend to witnesses Sary does not waive, including expert Philip Short.

“Witnesses he’s not waiving, he’s not waiving full stop,” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Stuart White at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,