Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Woman gets 7 years for bride trafficking

Woman gets 7 years for bride trafficking

Woman gets 7 years for bride trafficking

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday sentenced a woman to seven years in prison for trafficking Cambodian women to China to sell them for marriage, while two more were sentenced in absentia.

Neth Sokly, 36, was convicted and sentenced at the court, which dropped charges against two others who stood trial, including her husband.

Sreang Dara, 45, and Ros Soeng, 63, both of whom are on the run, were sentenced to seven and two years, respectively. All three convicted were ordered to compensate the case’s two plaintiffs.

“They brought many Cambodian girls from poor families in Cambodian provinces to marry Chinese men in Shanghai,” said Colonel Lao Lin, chief of the anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection unit at the Ministry of Interior.

“[The victims] were shown pictures telling them they would work as garment workers there instead.”

Sokly and her Chinese husband, Tao Yue Hong, 35, were arrested based on lawsuits from four women on July 5, 2013, at Phnom Penh International Airport as they returned from China. Tao’s charges were dropped yesterday.

One 23-year-old victim who lives in Kampong Cham province, said she and two girls left for Shanghai on May 25, 2013, for garment sector jobs.

“When we arrived at Shanghai Airport, a Khmer woman named Neth Sokly and her Chinese husband came to receive us. After welcoming and meeting us, they brought us into their car and sent us to stay at another Chinese human trafficker’s house in Shanghai,” she said.

“Later, they held our passports and made us marry old Chinese men in Shanghai. They sold us for between $10,000 and $15,000 each.”

Another victim, 20, said Sokly and her husband sold her to an old Chinese farmer living on the outskirts of Shanghai, saying she slept with the man every day and night until she was rescued by the Cambodian Embassy and returned to Cambodia in July 2013.

Sokly said yesterday the court’s decision was unjust.

“I cannot accept this verdict. I will appeal to the upper court,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Proof giants walked among us humans?

    For years a debate has waged about whether certain bas relief carvings at the 12th-century To Prohm Temple, one of the most popular attractions at the Angkor Wat Temple Complex in Siem Reap province, depicted dinosaurs or some rather less exotic and more contemporary animal,

  • Japan bank buys major stake in ANZ Royal Bank

    Japan's largest bank acquired more than half of ANZ’s shares in Cambodia on Thursday, according to a statement from Kith Meng’s Royal Group. Japan's JTrust Bank, announced that they had acquired a 55% of stake in ANZ Royal Bank. According to a Royal Group

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on