Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Woman killed in storm




Woman killed in storm

Woman killed in storm

At least one person has been killed and two others hospitalised with serious injuries in Banteay Meanchey after storms wreaked havoc in the province’s Malai and Svay Chek districts on Tuesday.

The storms also destroyed some 55 houses, according to provincial officials.

Hem Sokha, Malai district governor, said the storm had destroyed 10 houses in his district and called the storm a “terrible event”.

“One woman was struck to death by lightning, another suffered serious head injuries because his house fell on him, and another woman had injuries from electric shocks,” he said.

There was greater destruction in Svay Chek district, with 45 homes destroyed – although no one was hurt.

But Svay Chek district governor Chea Chhlong said help was on the way.

“Tomorrow, the Red Cross will make a donation to the victims,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • CDRI poll: Most happy but disappointments still exist

    A survey has found that over 70 per cent of Cambodian youths and adults approve of the direction the country is headed in, with the majority of respondents saying they had been doing better financially over the past five years. However, more than half said they

  • Drugs raid on Miami Night Club, 50 held

    Anti-drugs police raided a club in Chamkarmon district’s Boeung Keng Kang I commune in Phnom Penh early on Thursday, arresting some 50 people and confiscating drug-producing equipment and suspected illegal substances. Deputy National Police chief Mok Chito said on Thursday that police conducted the raid

  • Phnom Penh: The street food you adore, but given a refined twist

    There is no shortage of street food vendors scattered across Phnom Penh, but what is far rarer is finding a place that also has comfortable seating, good hygiene and parking. This is where Jing Ling and her five friends step in. With the concept of

  • Battambang court releases minor who shot boy

    The Battambang provincial court on Thursday released a 14-year-old boy who had been detained for accidentally firing a home-made gun and killing a nine-year-old boy in Samlot district on Tuesday, provincial court spokesman Tieng Sambor said. Sambor told The Post on Thursday that following the