Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Woman sent to court for ramming snatcher




Woman sent to court for ramming snatcher

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Two woman are questioned by police after they crashed their car into two men they say grabbed their mobile phone. National police

Woman sent to court for ramming snatcher

Police said a Chinese woman was sent to court on Tuesday for crashing her car into two men on a motorbike whom she claimed had snatched her mobile phone.

One of the men died on the spot, while the other was severely injured in the incident which happened in the capital’s Tuol Tompoung commune.

“At first, the woman and her female passenger were the victims. However, after the suspect died, the driver of the car was sent to the court, while the other was allowed to go home as she was not the one who controlled the vehicle,” said a policeman from Chamkarmon district who declined to be named.

He said the case was sent to the judiciary to determine if the killing was intentional or otherwise.

“We [the police] cannot decide this. However, the two women told us that they were only chasing the suspects to get the phone back.”

According to the Koh Santepheab daily, a translator assisting the women said at the time of the incident, they were driving home to Sen Sok district from a restaurant.

When they reached the corner of street 123 and 456, they stopped to open a window and talk on the phone because of poor service.

Suddenly, two men on a motorbike came up and grabbed the mobile phone. The woman said her phone was worth $2,000, and all they had wanted to do was get it back.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15