Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Woman who kidnapped baby sees sentence reduced, attempted murder charge dropped



Woman who kidnapped baby sees sentence reduced, attempted murder charge dropped

Yin Sotheara, 34, who kidnapped a baby girl in 2017, had her sentence reduced from 11 years to four years by the Appeal Court on Monday. Kim Sarom
Yin Sotheara, 34, who kidnapped a baby girl in 2017, had her sentence reduced from 11 years to four years by the Appeal Court on Monday. Kim Sarom

Woman who kidnapped baby sees sentence reduced, attempted murder charge dropped

A 34-year-old woman who was sentenced to 11 years in prison last July for briefly kidnapping a baby had her sentence reduced today to four years by the Appeal Court.

Appeal Court Judge Yun Narong announced the verdict to Yin Sotheara, stating that her charge had been changed from “attempted murder,” under Article 199 of the criminal code, to “unlawful removal of a minor”, under Article 9 of the Law on Anti-Human Trafficking.

During an appeal hearing beginning January 15, Sotheara told the judge that she loved the baby girl and had not intended to kill her.

In March 2017, Sotheara briefly took the baby from her friend, Meas Sovanna. She sealed the infant’s mouth with tape and put her in a plastic bag before using a rope to lower her to the street.

The next day, feeling remorse, Sotheara returned the baby to her mother, concealing the baby in a storage area under the seat of her motorbike as she travelled to Sovanna’s home.

Sotheara’s lawyer Chea Sokha said the appeal against the Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s verdict from 2017 was made because her client never had a plan to kill the baby. Prosecutor Hean Rith also told the court that he supported changing the charge.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants