Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Wood seller to be sued for defamation

Wood seller to be sued for defamation

Wood seller to be sued for defamation

THE defence lawyer for three journalists and a provincial official accused of extorting money from a wood vendor in Kampong Cham province said Tuesday that her clients will file a lawsuit against the wood vendor at the provincial court next week.

Defence lawyer Ny Vuthy said her clients – journalists Chea Lyheang, Tong Sophon and Thorng Kimhuoth, and Chhy Hok Kimsrean, the head of Kampong Cham’s Rural Development Committee – would sue the vendor for defamation.

“The wood vendor accused my clients of extorting money from her without any evidence,” she said. She added that her clients would file a separate complaint against the wood seller and six other vendors accusing them of trading in illegal timber.

In April, Mey Kim Huon, a wood vendor from Stung Trong district’s Areak Thnouth commune, filed a complaint with the provincial court, claiming the journalists had threatened to publish stories accusing her of selling illegal wood unless she paid them US$300.

“I told them that I only had $50, but they refused,” she said. “Two days later, they published a story that ... called me an illegal wood vendor.”

The four accused of extortion have denied wrongdoing and say they began investigating the vendors after getting a tip from a local farmer.

Tong Sophon said Tuesday that on April 5 he and a colleague found around 40 cubic metres of illegal timber on a farm owned by a vendor named Kau Sam, who has since also accused the reporters and Chhy Hok Kimsrean of extortion.

Authorities did nothing to seize the illegal haul, he said, and added that the vendors reportedly moved the wood to another location later that night. He said he heard of the extortion claims only a few weeks later, when the journalists and official were called to court. “It is very unjust for us,” he said.

Provincial court prosecutor Huoth Vuthy said he was too busy to comment Tuesday, but on May 10 said the case would be closed if the wood vendors could not produce any evidence.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong