Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Workers fight for right to strike

Workers fight for right to strike

Workers fight for right to strike

Sacked workers from Siem Reap’s Angkor Village Hotel and Resort, who have previously had an arbitration council and a provincial court rule in favour of their reinstatement, were back in court yesterday fighting for their right to demonstrate in front of the establishment.

At an Appeal Court hearing, presiding judge Pak Chansambo said hotel co-owner Olivier Piot successfully lodged a complaint with Siem Reap provincial court last year requesting that authorities prevent the workers striking and demonstrating outside the hotel because it was disturbing public order and the hotel’s guests.

Workers appealed the provincial court decision in October.

The Angkor Village Hotel and Resort began firing workers last August, shortly after some of them attempted to unionise.

Piot and hotel co-owner Tep Vantho said at the time the workers had been dismissed for unrelated offences, including what Tep Vantho claimed was an attempt to poison her.

In a separate ruling in October, Siem Reap provincial court ordered the hotel owners to temporarily reinstate 67 sacked workers until a final decision was reached, following a non-binding ruling by the Arbitration Council, which also ruled for the workers’ reinstatement.

The provincial court reversed its order in December pending a final ruling by the Appeal Court.

Kim Socheat, a lawyer for the workers, said in court yesterday the original decision had blocked his clients’ right to protest. “This protest was to ask the owner to reinstate the sacked workers in accordance with the Arbitration Council’s decision,” he said.

Ing Sothy, a lawyer for the hotel, said the dismissed workers had disturbed public order and affected tourists.

Tep Vantho could not be reached for comment yesterday, and contact details for Olivier Piot were not available.

The Post reported earlier this month that 22 workers had accepted compensation from the hotel in lieu of returning to their old jobs. The Appeal Court will announce its decision on March 2.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen’s China visit ‘a good opportunity’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen’s visit to Beijing on Sunday to discuss economic and trade issues presents a good opportunity for the Kingdom to strengthen Chinese ties and counter punitive measures by the West, an analyst says. The prime minister’s four-day official visit to

  • Former chief bodyguard receives royal pardon

    The former chief bodyguard of late Senate president Chea Sim has received a royal pardon nearly eight years after he was sentenced to 15 years behind bars on several charges, according to a royal decree dated November 12, last year, and obtained by The Post on Wednesday.

  • Close to the edge: Hair raising pictures from Kulen Mountain

    A new hair raising attraction on Kulen Mountain has finally opened to the public, with people flocking to the protruding cliff edge overlooking green mountainous forests to take photographs. The giant overhanging rock is situated in an area known as Mahendraparvata – an ancient city of

  • US warned not to interfere despite successful meeting

    A senior Ministry of National Defence official said the Tuesday meeting between the US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence for South and Southeast Asia Joseph H Felter and General Neang Phat had helped strengthen relations between the two countries’ militaries. However, a senior Cambodian People’