Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Workers protest closed factory



Workers protest closed factory

Workers from troubled garment factory First Gawon Apparel listen to Meanchey district authorities Monday afternoon after delivering a petition seeking unpaid wages.
Workers from troubled garment factory First Gawon Apparel listen to Meanchey district authorities Monday afternoon after delivering a petition seeking unpaid wages. Pha Lina

Workers protest closed factory

About100 workers from the seemingly abandoned First Gawon Apparel garment factory marched to Phnom Penh’s Meanchey District Hall on Monday afternoon seeking resolution to a dispute that has dragged on for nearly a year.

Workers say they have not been paid by the Korean-owned company for four months and have been staking out the factory in fears managers will try to remove valuable equipment and machinery that could be sold to pay back wages and severance.

Worker Em Savy said some colleagues had been evicted from their homes because they were unable to pay rent and were now living in front of the factory.

“I don’t have money to pay my kids’ school, and because we’ve been on standby at the factory for more than four months, my husband is suspicious that I’m having an affair with someone now,” Savy said.

During a meeting with the workers, District Governor Pich Keo Mony promised representatives from the Ministry of Labour would pay a visit to the factory on Tuesday to compel owners to pay the workers.

However, Keo Mony also told workers to assign a few representatives to deliver their petitions to relevant organisations instead of marching en masse.

“I heard workers want to march,” Keo Mony said. “Why do you want to do that? I don’t reject the workers’ plan, but we can’t let you march as it will affect the public order and impact traffic.”

Ministry of Labour spokesman Heng Sour and First Gawon factory owner Mercedes Cha could not be reached Wednesday.

Workers plan to deliver petitions to the Council of Ministers, Ministry of Labour, Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia, the National Social Security Fund and the South Korean Embassy in Cambodia.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman