Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Workers return, hope for salaries



Workers return, hope for salaries

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
More than 600 factory workers returned to work after the owners agreed to pay their salaries. Central

Workers return, hope for salaries

More than 600 factory workers in the capital’s Chaom Chao commune in Por Sen Chey district returned to work after the factory’s owner promised to pay their salaries in instalments until the middle of next month.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, more than 600 workers gathered in front of the factory to protest after they failed to receive their salary for the past two months. Instead, they received a $30 payment.

One worker, who gave her name as Srey Da, told The Post on Thursday that following a series of protests, Ministry of Labour officials intervened, resulting in the company agreeing to pay the salaries owed.

Workers employed by the factory for nearly 10 years said it promised to make an initial payment of $25 to all workers.

The remainder of their April salaries would be paid in early June and their May salary in mid-June said the workers.

Da said: “We’ve only been paid $100 to $200 per person depending on our salary and actual work.

“During this time, there has been no overtime because there is nothing to do. The factory previously had more workers, but 60 per cent of them were suspended, and the protesters represent the remaining 40 per cent.”

Collective Union of Movement of Workers president Pav Sina said the factory has repeatedly gone against its promises to pay workers.

He said the government would monitor the case to prevent the factory from continuing to cheat workers, but he wasn’t convinced that alone would force the company to cooperate.

“The company has been dishonest and set a very bad example. The workers need to be paid for their livelihood with regular salaries. If these promises aren’t fulfilled, people will lose confidence in the authorities’ remedies,” he said.

Sina is also concerned about recent incidents caused by the outbreak of Covid-19. He said several factories have employed various methods of terminating workers, including cancelling short and long-term employment contracts, and contracts with pregnant workers.

Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training spokesman Heng Sour told The Post on Thursday that the ministry acknowledged difficulties in the private sector.

It had tried to compromise with the factory and would continue to monitor the situation.

Sour said: “We also request the understanding of the workers on this. But the ministry will continue to urge employers to keep to their promises.

“Our workers have a hard time because they need money to support themselves. We are not giving up on them and will continue to monitor this case.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration