Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Workers sick from poisoned rice wine

Workers sick from poisoned rice wine

Workers sick from poisoned rice wine

FOUR mushroom farmers were recovering in hospital in Pursat province after drinking poisoned rice wine on Monday, police officials said yesterday. Chhon Chhorn, director of medical examination for the provincial police, said officials were investigating the source of the tainted wine. “According to another worker, before the four victims were transferred to hospital, they were dizzy, wanted to vomit, and had blurry vision after drinking the wine for 10 minutes,” he said. Last month, a wine seller was arrested in Pursat province after wine that he had sold caused the deaths of six people and injured 15 others.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not