Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - World Bank to re-engage after five-year absence

World Bank to re-engage after five-year absence

Activists protest at the World Bank’s Phnom Penh headquarters in 2014, calling for the reconsideration of millions in loans for the development of land concessions.
Activists protest at the World Bank’s Phnom Penh headquarters in 2014, calling for the reconsideration of millions in loans for the development of land concessions.

World Bank to re-engage after five-year absence

The World Bank has approved $130 million in developmental aid aimed at reducing poverty in Cambodia, signalling its first direct re-engagement with the Kingdom since it left in protest in 2011 after one of the largest forceful evictions led by the government displaced more than 3,000 families.

The decision came last week when the World Bank’s executive directors voted on a new Country Engagement Note (CEN) that approved financing of four projects including infrastructure development, clean-water projects, agriculture production and access to health care.

The projects will be supported by $130 million in concessional credits from the bank’s International Development Association with repayment schedules stretched over 25 to 45 years.

“Our new engagement with Cambodia starts with projects aimed to bring tangible benefits for Cambodians,” said Ulrich Zachau, country director of the World Bank for Southeast Asia, in a press release.

The vote to restart lending marks a stark departure from its lending freeze in 2011, when more than 3,000 families were evicted from Boeung Kak lake after Cambodian People’s Party Senator Lao Meng Khin began filling in the lake after his company, Shukaku, was awarded a 99-year lease of more than 100 hectares of land in 2007 to develop the Phnom Penh City Centre project.

At the time, the World Bank was involved in a $24.3 million land-titling project, which was accused of denying thousands of Cambodians property rights.

Eang Vuthy, executive director of Equitable Cambodia, said that between 50 to 100 families were still waiting for adequate redress.

“I am disappointed that the World Bank has decided to lend to the government again while there are still families that are landless,” he said. “Unless part of this $130 million involves an action plan to help the evictees, the people will continue to protest.”

He added that while the programs lack detailed information on how they will be implemented, the question remains if adequate safeguards are in place.

Ear Sophal, the author of Aid Dependence in Cambodia: How Foreign Assistance Undermines Democracy, explained that the decision to issue lending could not have been timed any worse.

“The World Bank has managed [to pick] just about the worst moment ever: just when a bunch of human rights activists have been arrested and are essentially being targeted,” he wrote in an email.

“The overall significance is that the authorities can take this to the bank and gloat about how normalcy has returned to Cambodia with the World Bank’s vote of confidence,” he said, adding that the organisation was “politically tone deaf”.

MOST VIEWED

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • Quarantine still a must for all arrivals, in next Covid chapter

    Since early May, an average of five to 10 Cambodian people have died from Covid-19 a day with many others testing positive amid the ongoing community outbreak. At the same time, however, hundreds of patients also recovered a day. The first Covid-19 case in Cambodia was

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • Jab drive heading to 5 provinces

    The government is set to vaccinate more than 1.2 million people in five provinces after finishing with Phnom Penh and neighbouring Kandal in an ongoing campaign administered by the ministries of Health and National Defence. The five provinces are Preah Sihanouk, Kampong Speu, Takeo, Kampong Cham

  • New immigration bill targets illegal foreigners in Kingdom

    General Department of Immigration (GDI) officials are discussing revisions to the new draft law on immigration to prevent foreigners from entering Cambodia illegally and to supervise those living in the Kingdom more effectively. The revisions draw wide support among civil society organisations. GDI director-general Kirth

  • Kingdom set to be a gold producer

    Cambodia will soon join the roster of gold producing countries after the government announced the commencement of commercial gold mining operations in the Okvau area in southwestern Mondulkiri province's Keo Seima district from June 21. Prime Minister Hun Sen on June 10 announced that after 14 years of