Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - WWF gets EU funds for conservation in Mondulkiri



WWF gets EU funds for conservation in Mondulkiri

Villagers at a mapping meeting for a community protected area in Mondulkiri province. Photo supplied
Villagers at a mapping meeting for a community protected area in Mondulkiri province. Photo supplied

WWF gets EU funds for conservation in Mondulkiri

The European Union will be funding conservation efforts in Mondulkiri’s Srepok and Phnom Prich wildlife sanctuaries to the tune of $3.3 million over the next five years, according to a press release yesterday.

The project, Advancing CSOs Capacity to Ensure Sustainability Solutions (ACCESS), will be implemented from 2018 to 2022 by the World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF) and a consortium of other groups. By working with 2,000 households spread across 34 villages within the two adjoining wildlife sanctuaries, the aim of the project is to strengthen so-called Community Protected Areas (CPAs).

A four-year EU-funded project targeting conservation of the same areas came to a close last month with stakeholders, including the WWF, lamenting the total impunity with which forestry crimes occur within protected areas.

Currently, 18 CPAs have been established within Phnom Prich and Srepok, and act as administrative structures by which forest-dwelling villagers can “sustainably manage” the forest. However, the release notes that CPAs “still require official recognition . . . at national level”. The new project aims in part to rectify this.

In an email, WWF-Cambodia Communications Manager Un Chakrey said that funding for each CPA would also be allocated based on performance.

Directors of the provincial Environment Department and both wildlife sanctuaries could not be reached yesterday. The EU did not respond to a request for comment.

Additional reporting by Kong Meta

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • Capital set to beef up security

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng held the first meeting of the year with heads of armed forces in the capital to review and repair the deficiencies related to gun control, drug crimes, social order disruptions due to alcohol consumption and traffic law enforcement. Municipal