Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police Blotter: 14 Dec 2009




Police Blotter: 14 Dec 2009

Police Blotter: 14 Dec 2009

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

THE ROOF, THE ROOF, THE ROOF IS ON FIRE
A man in Battambang province’s Banan district burned down his own house Wednesday after his wife refused to give him money to buy cigarettes. After drinking a litre of wine, the man threatened his wife, insisting he would burn the house down if she did not give him money. His wife refused and shouted, “Go ahead. Burn down the house if you want to.” The man then set his home on fire before police arrived and arrested him. The couple and their seven children are now homeless.
KOH SANTEPHEAP

PIRATED PORN VIDEO KEPT FOR RESEARCH
More than 10,000 video CDs, including pornographic videos, were found at a home pirating studio that was raided by police in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district Friday. The 34-year-old suspect had been authorised by the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts to run a music studio since November 2008. But authorities were not aware the man had used his business to allegedly manufacture pirated VCDs. The videos have been sent to the ministry for further investigation.
KOH SANTEPHEAP

MAN LITERALLY STOLE CABLE, POLICE SAY
A 23-year-old man was arrested for stealing electricity cables in Kandal province’s Sa’ang district last Thursday. Armed with a bamboo stick and a knife, the man would allegedly drive his motorcycle through the village, cutting cables and swiping them. The suspect told police he resorted to stealing the cables and selling them because he had no job. People in the area have reported that their cables have frequently been stolen – even while they are watching evening television.
KOH SANTEPHEAP

BREAKING NEWS: GUARDS BEAT JOURNO
A sleepless journalist in Poipet province’s Poipet town was allegedly beaten by security guards from a local casino Friday. The victim, Oeu Bunthan, said that the incident occurred outside his home when he tried to tell one of the guards not to rev his motorbike engine at night. The guard then called over six other guards and two military police officials. Armed with electric batons, the suspects tried to break into the victim’s home but were blocked by the journalist, whose hand was bloodied in the scuffle. Oeu Bunthan called the incident a “violation of human rights”.
CHRANN CHAMROEUN

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could