BEAUTY SALON NEEDS A MAKEOVER
A beauty shop in Banteay Meanchey’s Malay district was nearly destroyed after a car crashed into it on Tuesday. Police said the driver was drunk and fled the scene following the accident. The owner of the shop said everything in the store was damaged, but noted that no one was injured. She demanded full compensation from the driver. Police said the car would remain at police headquarters “until the matter is resolved”.
LOVELOM GUARD HANGS HIMSELF
A man who worked as a security guard at a factory hanged himself on Wednesday from a tree near his home in Kampong Speu’s Somrong Tong district. According to relatives, the man was angry at his family, who had demanded that he break up with his girlfriend. The girlfriend said they’d been together for five years and intended to marry, but that the family had rejected her, believing the man was not actually in love with her.
13-YEAR-OLD GIRL RAPED IN KCHAM
Police on Tuesday arrested an 18-year-old man accused of raping a 13-year-old girl in Kampong Cham province’s Soung district on Tuesday. Police said the man was a student and lured the girl to a guesthouse after school. The victim said the accused gave her money and cake to convince her to go with him. The man confessed to the rape, and was sent to court for sentencing, police said.
DRUNK DROWNS IN KANDAL POND
A 49-year-old man drowned in a pond in Kandal province’s Kien Svay district on Wednesday. A neighbour said he saw the man getting drunk near the pond and discovered his body floating in the water the next day. Police said the man had been unable to save himself because he was not a strong swimmer.
FIRE BREAKS OUT AT PURSAT HOSPITAL
A fire destroyed a hospital worker’s room in a health centre in Pursat’s Bakan district on Wednesday. One witness said the authorities had trouble putting out the blaze due to a lack of fire trucks in the province, but police said the fire had been handled well, noting that it had not spread to other parts of the health centre. Health centre staff members said the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction. No one was injured, but police said the damage to the health centre was “severe”.