Police Blotter: 19 Feb 2010

Police Blotter: 19 Feb 2010

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

BEAUTY SALON NEEDS A MAKEOVER
A beauty shop in Banteay Meanchey’s Malay district was nearly destroyed after a car crashed into it on Tuesday. Police said the driver was drunk and fled the scene following the accident. The owner of the shop said everything in the store was damaged, but noted that no one was injured. She demanded full compensation from the driver. Police said the car would remain at police headquarters “until the matter is resolved”.
KOH SANTEPHEAP

LOVELOM GUARD HANGS HIMSELF
A man who worked as a security guard at a factory hanged himself on Wednesday from a tree near his home in Kampong Speu’s Somrong Tong district. According to relatives, the man was angry at his family, who had demanded that he break up with his girlfriend. The girlfriend said they’d been together for five years and intended to marry, but that the family had rejected her, believing the man was not actually in love with her.
KOH SANTEPHEAP

13-YEAR-OLD GIRL RAPED IN KCHAM
Police on Tuesday arrested an 18-year-old man accused of raping a 13-year-old girl in Kampong Cham province’s Soung district on Tuesday. Police said the man was a student and lured the girl to a guesthouse after school. The victim said the accused gave her money and cake to convince her to go with him. The man confessed to the rape, and was sent to court for sentencing, police said.
RASMEY KAMPUCHEA

DRUNK DROWNS IN KANDAL POND
A 49-year-old man drowned in a pond in Kandal province’s Kien Svay district on Wednesday. A neighbour said he saw the man getting drunk near the pond and discovered his body floating in the water the next day. Police said the man had been unable to save himself because he was not a strong swimmer.
DEUM AMPIL

FIRE BREAKS OUT AT PURSAT HOSPITAL
A fire destroyed a hospital worker’s room in a health centre in Pursat’s Bakan district on Wednesday. One witness said the authorities had trouble putting out the blaze due to a lack of fire trucks in the province, but police said the fire had been handled well, noting that it had not spread to other parts of the health centre. Health centre staff members said the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction. No one was injured, but police said the damage to the health centre was “severe”.
KAMPUCHEA THMEY

MOST VIEWED

  • Proof giants walked among us humans?

    For years a debate has waged about whether certain bas relief carvings at the 12th-century To Prohm Temple, one of the most popular attractions at the Angkor Wat Temple Complex in Siem Reap province, depicted dinosaurs or some rather less exotic and more contemporary animal,

  • Japan bank buys major stake in ANZ Royal Bank

    Japan's largest bank acquired more than half of ANZ’s shares in Cambodia on Thursday, according to a statement from Kith Meng’s Royal Group. Japan's JTrust Bank, announced that they had acquired a 55% of stake in ANZ Royal Bank. According to a Royal Group

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on