Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police Blotter: 19 Nov 2010




Police Blotter: 19 Nov 2010

Police Blotter: 19 Nov 2010

police

Man accused of raping woman at corn mill
Police on Monday arrested an 18-year-old man accused of raping a woman in Battambang’s Samlot district. Police said the mother of the victim filed a complaint, accusing the man of raping her 20-year-old daughter at his workplace. The suspect dismissed the allegations, claiming they had been involved in “a loving relationship” for more than a year. He said he works at a corn mill and the woman visited him after learning he was ill, and they had sex at the mill. KOH SANTEPHEAP

Arrest after attempted roadway theivery
Kampong  Cham provincial court on Saturday charged a man with destruction of property and intentional injury following an attempt to rob a 52-year-old man of his motorbike in Ponhea Krek district. Police said the suspect stopped the victim and his daughter last Thursday, wounding the victim’s elbow and hitting his bike as they were riding through town. Police immediately intervened and the man confessed. The victim has demanded 5 million riels (US$1,231) in compensation. KOH SANTEPHEAP

Gang of six beat two men for stealing girl
Five men were arrested after they injured two teenaged students they accused of stealing their friend’s girl in Kandal’s Ang Snuol district on Tuesday. Police said a 19-year-old man called his girlfriend, who he had lent his phone to so it would be easier to contact her. However, all hell broke loose when another man answered the phone. The boyfriend grabbed his crew, went to her house and beat up the two men they found with her. Police arrested the boyfriend’s posse but not the man himself. KOH SANTEPHEAP

Sleeping woman robbed in Kampong Cham
Police are on the hunt for a group of men suspected of robbing and injuring a 32-year-old woman while she was sleeping in Kampong Cham town on Monday night. They said the victim was a former restaurant owner who claims she lost about $4,000 in the robbery. She claims the thieves strangled her and hit her head against a pillar until she lost consciousness. Police said the victim was formerly married to an American, who died a few months ago. KOH SANTEPHEAP

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could