SECURITY GUARDS GET THE BOOT
Security guards in Kampong Speu province were arrested Wednesday for stealing shoes made by the factory that employs them. The six men worked for Generation Factory in Samrong Tong district. The director of the factory filed a complaint to police after noticing that shoes made by his factory were disappearing periodically. The perpetrators were caught red-handed and arrested as they sold the shoes at a local market.
SOLDIER TO FACE THE MUSIC IN MEANCHEY
A soldier was arrested Wednesday after threatening another man with a gun in Meanchey district. The soldier’s girlfriend and the victim both rented rooms in the same house. After the victim had turned up the music in his room to an unbearable volume, the girl called her boyfriend to intervene. The boyfriend took a gun and prodded the victim in the back with it repeatedly. Neighbours contacted police after overhearing the argument.
DRIVER LOSES HEAD AT TRAFFIC STOP
A university student was arrested in Phnom Penh on Saturday after throwing his helmet at a police officer during a traffic stop. The accused was stopped for not wearing a helmet while driving his motorbike near Royal University of Phnom Penh. He then threw his helmet, which was hung on the handle of his motorbike, at the police officer. The man’s father explained to police that his son suffers from a mental illness as a result of a traffic accident.
FISCAL DISPUTE TURNS FATAL
A woman who is suspected of killing her husband after he gambled and drank her savings away was arrested in Kampot province on Wednesday. After attacking her husband with a knife, she ran into the mountains to hide, but police found her five hours later. The woman said she was angry that her husband squandered her US$110 in savings.
ILL-ADVISED FISHING TECHNIQUE KILLS MAN
A man in Kampong Cham province accidentally electrocuted himself Tuesday when he tried to catch fish using electrodes. According to a neighbour, the man was drinking alcohol at a shop near his home when he spontaneously decided to catch fish to eat. The intoxicated man was unfortunately careless, accidentally shocking himself to death. Villagers tried to intervene but were unable to save him.